Sign in to follow this  
sdgengineer

Singer 42 Replacement Needle Set Screw (A Hack)

Hello there

I have a singer 42-5 that I have "pulleyed down" for sewing leather. It is a flat bed machine, the setscrew that holds the needle sticks out to the right. This makes sewing cases, and anything that is not flat problematical as the setscrew hits the work. I have researched the screw size, and bought some 6x40-1/4 inch hollow head set screws, that can be used to replace the existing fillister head screw.

We will see how this works, but it should work well.

SDGengineer

Edited by sdgengineer

I suggest caution. Most of the screws in these old Singers use Singer proprietary thread sizes, rather than anything standard. You don't want to booger up the threaded hole by forcing a wrong screw into the hole. You might be better off cutting the head off the existing screw, and then cutting a screwdriver slot in the remaining stub. Alternatively, if you have a repair shop in your area that deals with older Singer industrial machines, you might want to check and see if they have a set screw in the correct size and thread in their small parts bins. I use a 42-5 myself. EXCELLENT machines !!

Edited by Cascabel

Sdgengineer,

The correct need clamp screw for a 42-5 is Singer screw # 196. Still available. Specs on screw are 9/64" Dia. x 40 TPI pitch. Bob Kovar at Toledo should have the screw and if not, can get them. These are hardened as well. They also make this screw specs in a set screw with no head on them. Bob can get you those as well.

glenn