robb01

Are My Rivets Too Long?

Not sure if I'm setting my rivets correctly, but I can see the circular indentation of the rivet post under the cap of the river when I set it, it's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but in the middle you can sort of see the rivet post.

post-54851-0-83546800-1413769614_thumb.j

If you are still seeing the post, then yes. Here is a post I just did in another thread that may help.

First as others have mentioned, make sure the post is the correct length to begin with. Typically youll see rivets in 2mm increments. I find the 9mm is right for two layers of 8-9, even 9-10 but thats pushing it. 7mm for two layers of 6-7, 5mm for two layers of 4-5 etc. Also it should be noted that the holes for the rivets be tight, the rivets should "pop" into the leather and be tight enough to hold themselves in there.

f9c2701383f651be6d9c561b15d7b785_zpse111

The rivet on the right is about how much exposed post you should be seeing.

All setters are not created equal either, the Tandy setter is ok at best, but its not domed good enough IMO. I use a setter from a pack of various setters available from Springfield Leather for under 10 bucks, and I modified it and polished it to make it better.

ff7b0260ca22a5b76e95d33ffdabed8e_zpsb5e81058d6ffdc7a2119596526b18666bd56_zpscf2c

The Springfield tool is longer and a larger diameter. Makes it easier to handle and use. I put mine in a drill press and sanded/shaped the dome to make it even bigger and smoother, the polished it with Flitz.

A was just hammered flat, but I find the look bad, and if it fails the top part of the cap typically falls off.

B was set with Tandys tool, and while it does an ok job, if you are off centered at all the cap will be dented, and the post can bend.

C was set with the modified tool, it sets deep, but does not bend the post. It also leaves a nicer dome to the rivet.

0f20f7093cc637a9d80e02a7b90f3a0c_zps70d0a92085e23f9fc5e720d5d04a76ac211f_zps98b7

I set a lot of these rivets. Every case I make has just shy of 100 each, and I have torture tested them. If they are set correctly, the leather will tear out or the rivet will literally tear around the base of it before it seperates.

Hope this helps!

Chuck

Edited by RiverCity

Robb, Thanx for posting this problem, I too learned from River,

This is very nice discovery for me, I guess I'll be chucking up soon. Thanx Man ! --- Wild Bill46