leathercorder

Sewing Round Leather Cords

Hello everyone,

I just happened to wander here to find any valuable help on this specific topic. So could anyone provide links to or any tutorials how to sew by hand or by specific sewing machine (would gladly appreciate any links to any machines available) for this project.
I am interested in sewing round leather cords, and it depends on the material quite much; for starters I'm starting with faux embossed leather and planning to go further on real leather and exotic leather (which can be in different thickness and hardness)

So, as I am completely newbie on leather stuff, could any of you guys help me on this? I want the cords to be in specific diameter size, could you share any available techniques?

Thank you!

For leather piping :

Find out how thick you want the leather insert or rubber insert to be, both can be bought somewhere online.

Measure the diameter and multiply by 3.14 to get the circumference.

Then add the extra length for the leather that will be glued together, 10-20mm or more depending on the look and thickness of stitching ( so that it wont be so close to the edge or too far).

Measure the extra distance needed because of the thickness of the leather by multiplying the thickness of the leather by 3.14. Most of the time the leather is less than 2 ounces and more like .2 or .4mm and doesnt need to be factored in.

For a 3cm diameter insert, multiply 3 by 3.14 = 9.52cm

Add the extra length, say 14mm which would make it 7mm past the ends, because it counts for the top and bottom piece.

9.52cm + .14cm = 9.66 cm for a 3cm diameter thick insert of .5 ounce leather and has a 7mm allowance. The numbers are an estimate and you may have to tweak it somewhat to get it exactly how you want it.

Other ways you can do it is by wrapping tape or leather that you will be using around, marking it with pencil and then measure it for a rough estimate. Or use extra leather and trim it to size after it is glued. Can be butt stitched too.

Recently I sew a hugabub baby carrier for my 4 months old baby. I must say sewing is not an easy task, if you are not good at it, you will going to discover many complicated situations like that a button has popped off, or a seam has ripped on a shirt or pair of pants that you just do not want to part with, or some other that makes you wish you could just fix it quickly.

Edited by judithwiegand

How you do it depends on exactly what kind of round leather cord you're wanting to make. There is a thread on page two of the Leatherwork Conversation forum called Can You Spot Real Rolled Leatherwork? if you want to check it out. That method involves having a rein rounder tool though.

i'm sure we won't be hearing from him again.