ximpe

Treadle, Stitcher Or Sewing Machine?

I'm looking to get a leather stitching device on a budget. I don't have huge production needs but I do need something that is reliable and not too complicated to use or to maintain. I also have some space limitations since I'm working out of my apartment. I like the idea of not having to use electricity but I will if it's the best option. With that iin mind I've been thinking that an old treadle machine for under $200 on CL might be the way to go.

I'd like to know what people's experiences with this sort of machine might be when it comes to sewing a double thickness of somewhere between 6-12 oz leather. Are there some old makes and features that are recommendable and some to be avoided? Are there advantages or pitfalls?

Leather stitching machines also seem like a fine option but the ones I have found online cost more than I can afford right now. Are the really old ones I see on CL and eBay adequate or are they show pieces?

I'm also open to getting a modern sewing machine but the ones that seem would do the job are either out of my price range or my space constraints. Are there any inexpensive ones that might be adequate?

I realize that this topic may have been addressed previously in these fora and I regret any redundancy. A cursory search did not reveal the information I need.

I appreciate all replies and welcome information.

Hole punch weary,

Ximpe

On Craigslist you sometimes really can make a snap. A couple of weeks ago the member " Hi I´m Joe" has found a really nice Adler industrial walking foot machine for a bargain price. But in most cases the machines need some cleaning & adjustments. And for $200 you cannot expect the most. But without knowing what machine you have found no one can help you. Treadle machines are often just small domestic machines and do not have the strength for leather work and have a limitation on needle sizes.

Post some pictures or the maker + model number and I´m sure you will get some statements.

Two thicknesses of 12 oz leather becomes 3/8 of an inch, . . . of dry leather, . . . which will take a heavy duty treadle machine.

As Constabulary pointed out, . . . most treadle machines on CL are dressmaker type machines that will at best sew a couple layers of 2 oz together, . . . and will not handle the thread you need.

On the other hand, . . . take a couple of pieces of the leather you want to use, . . . make a change purse out of it, . . . stamp it a bit, . . . tool it a little, . . . then take it in to a larger JoAnn Fabric store, . . . ask one of the demonstrators there to show you how well their machine works (or won't work).

You might be surprized. I do have a little "Brother" machine that I use for some light leather sewing, . . . I paid $25 for it to a lady who bought it for less at a yard sale. But, it will not do 2 pieces of 12 oz.

Good luck, may God bless,

Dwight

There is also a Tippmann Boss stitcher on Ebay, . . . current bid is $610,................I love mine.

I refurbish and sometimes sell old iron body sewing machines. I can tell you for a certainty that none of them can sew over 1/8 inch (8 ounces) of veg-tan leather without extreme difficulty and then, only with very thin thread. The machines are not built to sew any leather tougher than garment or chap types. The feed is via teeth on the bottom only. This simply doesn't move leather along without it dragging on the presser foot, which must be cranked down hard to prevent the leather from lifting with the ascending needle and thread.

Please read my sticky topic about the type of machine you need to sew leather, then adjust (upwards) your budget and target machines.

Please read my sticky topic about the type of machine you need to sew leather, then adjust (upwards) your budget and target machines.

Hi Wizcraft,

I appreciate your response and the others ones as well. This really is a wonderful place for leather crafters and I feel so happy and grateful to have happened upon it. As you can guess, I am new here. I don't know where to find the citation you mentioned. Do you have the title or can you tell me where/how to find it or possibly post a link? Thank you for your reply.

Hi Wizcraft,

I appreciate your response and the others ones as well. This really is a wonderful place for leather crafters and I feel so happy and grateful to have happened upon it. As you can guess, I am new here. I don't know where to find the citation you mentioned. Do you have the title or can you tell me where/how to find it or possibly post a link? Thank you for your reply.

It is a "Pinned" topic among others, on the top of this forum: The type of sewing machine you need to sew leather

Dwight thanks for your input on the Boss. I am thinking of getting one in a few weeks and have heard many bad things said about this machine. I would like your input about the issue you have found in this machine, how long have you had yours? What thread do you use? Do you use lube on the thread? Just anything will help.

I am handycapped no feet and this machine maybe a answer to the peddle issues I have on other machines. I am just starting out and trying to get it right by others mistakes.

https://www.facebook.com/bigsmileleathersmith

It's a long crazy story how I ended up with mine, . . . but it was brand new, . . . still in the box. And, . . . yes, . . . there is a learning curve with it, . . . but it was not really hard for me, . . . I've been messing with mechanical junk for 50+ years, . . . learned how to use a treadle Singer when I was probably all of 8or 10 at the oldest.

The pros for the Boss:

• A relatively simple machine, . . . if it breaks, you can take it apart and put in the parts yourself
  • Hand operated, no power needed
  • The factory is in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, . . . their "fixit" people, mainly Ben, are wonderful to work with
  • Needs only to be solidly anchored, . . . mine is with a "C" clamp on my bench's end

The cons for the Boss:

• It does not make a "pretty" backside stitch
  • It is sometimes difficult to get started: lifting the foot, holding the strings, placing the piece to be sewn, getting started in "THE" right place.
  • Doing a 55 inch belt takes a cup of coffee, one doughtnut, and a lot of patience so you don't have a "do over" to contend with
  • It can try your patience

As for thread, . . . I buy 346 thread at Tandy's, . . . it has some kind of lube on it, . . . works really well, . . . but I do sometimes have to clean a goober or gob of the stuff off my needle'e eye. I've tried 207, 277, and 406, . . . none of which works as well for me as the 346 from Tandy's.

You will want to build a table that lays to the left of the machine, . . . and a surface directly behind it for the parts & pieces to rest on while stitching. You won't always use it in that configuration, . . . but for most of what I do, . . . it works the best.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight