CharlieR

Braiding Classes in Texas?

That saddle looks familiar. :You_Rock_Emoticon: Do you have any cards? Everytime I go somewhere with that saddle at least one person ask who made it, I could hand out your card if you want more saddle business.

Mike

WOW Robb that reata looks nice. Do you get a lot of questions when you use it in the branding pen?? Folks around here ask me why I'm riding a Mexican saddle (Wade) and using so much rope!!! I have only made basic using reatas and I guess one day I'll have to go ahead and make a nice fancy one too! My first one is now the core to several bosals!! What aren't you happy with? I think you are doing a good a job as I've seen? Once you get that one broken in I bet it will be just fine! Does Mike do much reata roping? I'd like to visit you some time and we can work on some loops. I can never get enough reata roping!!! Here's a pic of a horse I raised and trained, a saddle I made, a reata I made and a bosal I made. Kinda like a nice calling card.

DSCF9386.JPG

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Thanks Alan! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to you. You are right about the puzzled looks when "punchers" here see a reata. I don't use one either though, all that I have made are hanging either here in the house or in the saddle house. I have one that would be perfect for bosals cores as well, all 80' of it. I know that I am getting very close to having it right just want to really feel comfortable about making one so if Mike or Cindy isn't there looking over my shoulder I know I can still do it. Your gear really looks good in the photo. There sure is a good feeling when riding a good horse that you know someone hasn't ruined with nice tack. You can really be proud of everything I can see here that you made. I think Mike's reata roping days are something of the past, but he is still one heck of a braider and also a great teacher as well. Cindy's mother passed away this past weekend just in case you happened to talk to her anytime soon. I look forward to getting to visit or come down and meet with you again. It will be nice to know another braider that isn't so far away. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two about reata roping too.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum, got here by accident.

I live in Denton Texas and used to braid for many years making my own rawhide tack.

I haven't braided in several years but I would be happy to talk to anyone about braiding, or look at your work to see if I can help you out any. I'm sure we could figure out any issues together.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Hello, I live in Krum,Texas and braid alittle. I can help instruct alittle. I also tool and build saddles so there's possibilites there to help out. Alan Bell is a pretty good hand also, Thanks Clint Haverty

I know this thread is over a year old, but maybe there still is some interest. I hope Rawhidelady and some of the other Texans are still around this site, maybe we can all do some braiding together. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks.

Robb Misty_s_Branding_Photo_s_023.jpg

I am new to this forum also. I am just starting to learn to braid and experienced braiders are my most valuable resource. I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity to get together with other braiders. I am about 4 hours from the Dallas area. I have been in touch with Rawhidelady. She is still around this site and is willing to help. I may not have much to contribute in the way of braiding technique. However, I am a landscape designer and I have some interesting ideas regarding design and color. I am happy to help coordinate and/or host a "braiding get together". Please keep me in mind for any future braiding sessions. Thanks and have a great day. Sarah

Hello,

No classes here in Texas, that was a problem for me when I started out over 15 years ago.

I just got every book, video, and/or instructions I could get my hands on. I learned the hard way through my mistakes, but it is doable.

I don't braid anymore right now. Lost my horses and the desire or need to braid tack.

But I'd be happy to let you pick my brain about braiding.

Smiles,

Terri S.

Anybody know anyone that is conducting braiding classes here in Texas? It seems you can take a class in about anything "cowboy" here, but not braiding--or am I worng?

Rawhide

We have a couple of braiders in our guild. I cornered one of our braiding members this morning over Bfast and asked him if he could put on a class for our guild members on a simple braiding project or two. Since the levels of experience vary, I asked him to keep it simple to start and build from there.

While I had him cornered I inquired about teaching a beginners and intermediate class for other folks in the area like you. I know that you wanted me to keep you updated. He is willing to do this so, Danny and I are going to be working with him to hopefully get these off the ground. Hopefully, I will be able to post a small tutorial after our guild class in the coming months. I will keep you up to date if you are still interested.

And, as always with me, everyone near here is invited to attend the non-guild classes. We have to figure out the costs and we will post something.

Good luck

Hi everyone,

Our Guild president Dave Smith has offered to help set up and sponsor a class in Fort Worth if Alan or RawhideLady are still willing to teach. I'm not sure about all the details which can all still be ironed out, but he did put the offer out there.

Let me know if you're still interested and I'll either be the go between or put you in touch with the Dave, whichever you prefer.

Marlon

Hello All,

I wish I could commit to helping teach a class but I am about to start Nursing school myself and have to devote my time to studying for that.

If you do get a class together I would like to know about it and the schedule. If I had a better Idea of when and where and for how long I would be better able to make a commitment.

Now I am a self-taught braider that learned pretty much by reading the books. It's been a few years since I even picked up something to braid. I'm sure I would be able to help the real beginners get started and I have some experience in making my own string. I am by no means an expert, but I am willing to share what I know with others.

Keep me informed.

Rwhidelady.

Hi everyone,

Our Guild president Dave Smith has offered to help set up and sponsor a class in Fort Worth if Alan or RawhideLady are still willing to teach. I'm not sure about all the details which can all still be ironed out, but he did put the offer out there.

Let me know if you're still interested and I'll either be the go between or put you in touch with the Dave, whichever you prefer.

Marlon

Marion,

You might try Brian Neubert @ P. O. Box 726, Alturas, Ca. 96101, Ph. (530) 233-3582, who has a video of "Introduction to Rawhide Braiding, The Cowboy's Craft," that cost $69 plus $3.50 shipping when I bought it in '03, though, the prices might have gone up. The easy way to learn, you know monkey-see-monkey-do. He might still travel and and be in your area. Good luck with it. Laurel @ laurelsleather@yahoo.com, also building a Web site for laurelsleather.com.

Braiding classes are hard to find, period. You almost have to become an apprentice to find the teachings. I have purchsed several books, but would definitely like some instruction.

Maybe someone will chime in that knows.

Marlon