CharlieR

Braiding Classes in Texas?

Anybody know anyone that is conducting braiding classes here in Texas? It seems you can take a class in about anything "cowboy" here, but not braiding--or am I worng?

Anybody know anyone that is conducting braiding classes here in Texas? It seems you can take a class in about anything "cowboy" here, but not braiding--or am I worng?

Braiding classes are hard to find, period. You almost have to become an apprentice to find the teachings. I have purchsed several books, but would definitely like some instruction.

Maybe someone will chime in that knows.

Marlon

I'm in Houston and we ain't even got a guild!!

However, I was able to find a 'teacher'. I was at my local Tandy and they have several business cards on the front counter for customers who have their own custom leather shops.

I am good friends with the manager and asked her who among her regular customers did she think would be willing to meet one-on-one and critique my work and possibly answer some questions for me. She plucked up a card right away for a gentleman who has been doing leatherwork for over 50 years and said "here ya go!"

I have met with Mr. Aubrey twice now and he is willing to show me anything I want to learn.

If there is no Tandy, maybe a local saddle shop or other type of related business. My mother lived up near Lake Livingston and one of the local grocery stores had a 'card board' for local shops to tack their cards on.

Maybe you can take this route and see what ya can scare up?

Let us know!!

William

While I'd be willing to host an event and possibly even conduct it we would have to work out the logistics including cost, materials, type of projects, boarding, time spent braiding, skill level of participants. I live outside of Dallas in Greenville Tx. So my question is how serious is everyone that may be interested in this? How would you address the above logistics one by one. You can answer either on this post for others to see or in a PM if you want.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Alan, I'm in DFW, and am very much in Marlon's camp. The stuff is gorgeous... and I'm a rank amateur. Would definitely attend so long as I wasn't visiting folks for Christmas.

Alan, I am in the Amarillo area and would be interested in attending. Very much an amateur but have some experience braiding leather.

RussH

Alan--I'm in south Texas but, depending on time, etc. would be willing to participate. For me summer is the best time as I am in the school business. I have some self tought experience, mostly in kangaroo.

Charlie

Cattle and horses mostly but you can use a part of most animals hide for certain types of braiding such as buttons from the belly or cores from the rump just depends on what you are wanting to do. Also how you de hair is a factor in the quality and type of string you will get. And remember.... your neighbor may miss their cat!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum, got here by accident.

I live in Denton Texas and used to braid for many years making my own rawhide tack.

I haven't braided in several years but I would be happy to talk to anyone about braiding, or look at your work to see if I can help you out any. I'm sure we could figure out any issues together.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Am up in Denton every Sunday...if I can figure out enough to have a project that won't actually waste your time, would be happy to take you up on it!

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum, got here by accident.

I live in Denton Texas and used to braid for many years making my own rawhide tack.

I haven't braided in several years but I would be happy to talk to anyone about braiding, or look at your work to see if I can help you out any. I'm sure we could figure out any issues together.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

I live in Ft. Worth and Denton isn't far for me at all. However, I'm such a rookie at braiding, I wouldn't know where to start or even ask questions. Mainly I would like to get to the point, where I can cover the handles of my tools, like awl handles and such.

I also noticed you have a string cutter for sale. What are you looking to get for it? (if you don't mind me asking).

Thanks,

Marlon

I live in Ft. Worth and Denton isn't far for me at all. However, I'm such a rookie at braiding, I wouldn't know where to start or even ask questions. Mainly I would like to get to the point, where I can cover the handles of my tools, like awl handles and such.

I also noticed you have a string cutter for sale. What are you looking to get for it? (if you don't mind me asking).

Thanks,

Marlon

Well I'm no expert myself, just made some basic reins, headstalls and hobbles. I attended a braiding seminar in Oklahoma one year and I had a mentor online for several years.

I don't give out reserve amounts, not fair for some to have the info and not others. I will tell you a new one is running about $445 and mine is well below half that amount if it only reaches it's reserve. Good Luck!

Bridle2_1.bmp

Bridle2_1.bmp

Well I'm no expert myself, just made some basic reins, headstalls and hobbles. I attended a braiding seminar in Oklahoma one year and I had a mentor online for several years.

I don't give out reserve amounts, not fair for some to have the info and not others. I will tell you a new one is running about $445 and mine is well below half that amount if it only reaches it's reserve. Good Luck!

That's fair. That's some fine braiding in my book. :thumbsup:

Hey Rawhidelady, Were you at the Rawhide braiders roundtable in OKC with Pablo and Armando and Ron that Leland and Nate and Mike hosted for the TCAA?

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Am up in Denton every Sunday...if I can figure out enough to have a project that won't actually waste your time, would be happy to take you up on it!
Sounds good to me!You know when I was braiding it was hard to find anyone to show me what to do when I started out. I learned everything from books and a few videos. Hard to get a "feel" for what good rawhide is suppose to feel like. Finally found someone online who was willing to look at my work so I mailed it to him (Nevada) and he sent me back a video letter critiquing my work. Told me where to purchase my rawhide (I was using Tandy's) and that made all the difference in the world in my braiding.I'm happy to return the favor to someone else and pass it on down the road. Who knows, maybe it'll renew my interest in braiding again. Edited by Rawhidelady

Hey Rawhidelady, Were you at the Rawhide braiders roundtable in OKC with Pablo and Armando and Ron that Leland and Nate and Mike hosted for the TCAA? Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell
No I was in OKmogee OK learning to braid a reata.'Sorry I missed Nate braiding, bet it was good.Terri
That's fair. That's some fine braiding in my book. :thumbsup:
Thank you, it was the only picture I could get to upload due to file size. If anyone can help me with that I will post some fully braided stuff.Regards,Terri

Rawhidelady how do I open your picture. My computer says it's not a supported file format. Thanks

Mike

Rawhidelady how do I open your picture. My computer says it's not a supported file format. Thanks

Mike

Weird I'm pretty sure it was a bitmap picture. Sorry I don't know much about computers.

If I could figure out how to post smaller size versions of my photos I would post some better ones.

Anyone else know what to do ???

terri

Hey Rawhidelady, Were you at the Rawhide braiders roundtable in OKC with Pablo and Armando and Ron that Leland and Nate and Mike hosted for the TCAA?

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Alan

I am new to this website and have been going through it all weekend. It is great! I was at the TCAA braiding seminar with Mike Beavers, Nate Wald, Lehland Hensely, as well as the Argentine and Australian braiders. We had to have met. I sat by Mike's wife Cindy both days. I have braided off and on for at least 15 years and spend one week a year in Idaho at the Beaver's home braiding. They have helped me make some really neat gear. I found this post and wondered if you had ever started your braiding class? I live about 3 hours west of the Metroplex and am a rancher by trade. I saw where there were a couple of people interested in meeting up with you and getting some help with their braiding and I would love to do the same. I know this thread is over a year old, but maybe there still is some interest. I read through your post on braiding the nose button and just wanted to compliment you on how informative it was and of course how good it looked when finished. I hope Rawhidelady and some of the other Texans are still around this site, maybe we can all do some braiding together. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks.

Robb Misty_s_Branding_Photo_s_023.jpg

post-11298-1249244114_thumb.jpg

Hey Robb, Good to hear from you!

I'm sure we had to have met. How are Mike and Cindy doing? The last time I don't think Cindy came just Mike and his daughter. I try and go to OKC for the auction every year. Hopefully I'll make it this year too. The class never actually happened and I was trying to think up something that could be started and finished by most folks over a weekend. I know Mike and Cindy give classes and have folks usually build a quirt. With Nate and Leland you usually just show up and work on what ever you are interested in making not really a formal class type setting. I'd really like to help folks get started or to refine what they do and I would sure like to visit with you and share things! You can also send me a private email through this board in case I don't get around to checking the board it will give me an alert in my regular email.

Vaya con Dios, Alan

I'm sure we had to have met. How are Mike and Cindy doing? The last time I don't think Cindy came just Mike and his daughter. I try and go to OKC for the auction every year. Hopefully I'll make it this year too. The class never actually happened and I was trying to think up something that could be started and finished by most folks over a weekend. I know Mike and Cindy give classes and have folks usually build a quirt. With Nate and Leland you usually just show up and work on what ever you are interested in making not really a formal class type setting. I'd really like to help folks get started or to refine what they do and I would sure like to visit with you and share things! You can also send me a private email through this board in case I don't get around to checking the board it will give me an alert in my regular email.

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Thanks for your reply Alan. I am going to see Mike and Cindy in September for my annual rawhide tutoring. I think you are right, I was at the very first seminar and did not attend the second one. At the Beaver's which is also a non-formal class I have made 4 reatas which was what I was interested in. As you know they are tough and not for the beginner so until I make one that I feel is exactly what I feel is the best I can do I will continue to try them. Did you attend the first OKC seminar too? I take that back my first year I made a quirt at their deal too. Been too many years to remember I guess. I didn't know that Nate and Lehland had classes. We will have to stay in touch and I look forward to meeting you again. Your bosal piece on here was just GREAT! I do believe I would spend some time at your place learing how to perfect one of those. Here is a photo of the last reata I made in Idaho. It is a 4x8 with a San Juan honda, and the honda is about all you can really see in the picture. I will see if I can find some more. Thanks again.

Robb

Idaho_2008_055.jpg

post-11298-1249326392_thumb.jpg

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Idaho_2008_027.jpg

post-11298-1249326782_thumb.jpg

Last one! Idaho_2008_053.jpgIdaho_2008_053.jpg[attac

hment=28701:Idaho_2008_053.jpg]

post-11298-1249327661_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobbS

WOW Robb that reata looks nice. Do you get a lot of questions when you use it in the branding pen?? Folks around here ask me why I'm riding a Mexican saddle (Wade) and using so much rope!!! I have only made basic using reatas and I guess one day I'll have to go ahead and make a nice fancy one too! My first one is now the core to several bosals!! What aren't you happy with? I think you are doing a good a job as I've seen? Once you get that one broken in I bet it will be just fine! Does Mike do much reata roping? I'd like to visit you some time and we can work on some loops. I can never get enough reata roping!!! Here's a pic of a horse I raised and trained, a saddle I made, a reata I made and a bosal I made. Kinda like a nice calling card.

DSCF9386.JPG

Vaya con Dios, Alan

post-1670-1249529423_thumb.jpg