Beadweaver

Staining Using Natural Pigments

Hi,

I'm relatively new to working with leather. I do beadwork and work mostly with tanned hides. I have a question....

I would like to stain an elk hide for a possibles bag (contemporary design) and would like to use some Mayan Blue pigment. I've done my research ... and all signs point to mixing the pigment with vodka for the best pigment dissolution and applying it to a dampened surface by vigorously rubbing it in. Then, let dry. Then buff (to remove excess pigment and rub in the stain) ...

What would you recommend I seal it with? And will the dye rub off after it is sealed? My hide is very soft and I'd like to keep it that way. I plan to put the buff/sueded side on the interior and the skin side on the exterior. The skin side is what I'd like to stain. One site, Earth Pigments, recommends sealing with a fixative spray such as that which charcoal artists use. I'm not sure that will work for leather?

The hide is very likely German Tanned since I got it from Crazy Crow. Not sure if that means it has been veg tanned....and how that will affect the pigment uptake.

Thanks!

Sue Mandel

This is more than a bit unusual, and while someone may have gone through this I'm doubting it. Do you have enough hide to make a tiny pouch to practice on, or at least a few scraps?

If you're using it for a possibles bag, I'd be leery of using artificial fixative since it will have a chemical smell to it, and I can tell you that when used on paper it makes a sheen (although you can buy a matte version of it instead of glossy) but I'd think anything with a raised nap will look pretty bad with a spray fixative on it. I've found it to keep a slightly tacky surface so it would end up looking grungy after a while if continually handled.

Thanks for your comments Grey.

Well....this type of staining was traditionally used for certain items, such as Sioux warshirts. When applied to the grain ( smooth) side of leather, it can give a lovely watercolor affect. You are right that applying it to a buffed surface would create a mess. Since the topic is kindof specialized ( although I would have thought some would have tried pigment staining) I will ask the reproduction artists...

Yah, that fixative stuff is a mess which is why I was surprised to see it suggested on earthpigments.com but perhaps they were referencing using it on parfleche and not clothing.

If I learn anything more, I will post it here. Maybe it will help someone else in the future.

I can't speak to the dyeing process but I have been using a spray on fixative. I use Blair spray on Fixatives in both matte and gloss versions for the final coat on the carved notebooks I make. It's basically an acrylic overspray kind of like spraying on Resolene with an airbrush. The matte spray works well and doesn't get shiny unless I put a lot on, and it seems to hold up OK. I don't have any problems with chemical smells once it has dried. It doesn't leave a tacky surface once dry either.

Hi All,

I found out from Angela Swedburg, who is a NA reproduction artist, to use hide glue as the solvent to mix the pigment in and apply it that way. The hide glue acts as a carrier and affixes the pigment to the hide e.g. Stains it. Any excess pigment on the hide is removed by brushing off the dried surface. She also uses a vacuum.

I had thought hide glue acted more in the way that paints work but apparently the mixture works more like a stain. And of course, along with everyone's recommendations, Angela also suggested experimentation.

Thank you Bob for the information on the Blair products. I haven't heard of those - good to know there is something workable out there (I am only familiar with the Krylon products). Sounds like it might be good for stiffer, smoother surfaces?

Thanks again!

Sue

Hi Sue,

I get the Blair spay at my local artist supply store but I do not think you can get it at a Hobby Lobby or Michael's type of place. And yes, I am using it on tooled veg-tan leather but it does flex and bend when it's used in a light coat. I've never tried it on a more flexible or softer leather to see how it behaves.

Bob