I've seen pictures and videos of people with something that resembles a thick crayon or stick, what is it? I've tried using towels, q-tips, and my boning tool but I can't get a straight line when applying. It's very wavy close to where I have edged the edge of the leather. A small part of the dye is on the face of the leather, and some of the leather edge just doesn't get covered. :dunno:

I use a artist paint brush, what ever size works for what I am edging. Harder ones I think work best.

Edited by Kowboyboots

I've seen pictures and videos of people with something that resembles a thick crayon or stick, what is it? I've tried using towels, q-tips, and my boning tool but I can't get a straight line when applying. It's very wavy close to where I have edged the edge of the leather. A small part of the dye is on the face of the leather, and some of the leather edge just doesn't get covered. :dunno:

I use a couple of different homemade applicators that work well. Take a piece of really heavy felt...maybe 3/8" thick....cut it into a 3/4" wide strip, maybe 2" long....fold it in half and rivet a leather handle to it......the handle is a 6" or 8" strip of skirting leather folded in half so that the felt strip when folded is sandwiched between the handle with about 1/2" to 3/4" protruding out the end...now you can use that as an applicator...it will produce a neat even line. Trim anything fuzzy sticking out. The more you use it, the more a slight groove will form in the middle of the felt and the easier it is to use. The ones I use now are stuffed and pinned in the end of a hollow plastic tube. If You can find a stiff enough piece of felt you can cut it into the shape of a wedge...works the same way. Hope this helpful and not too confusing!

gicts.....I forgot to tell you and I think this is imporant.......I slick the edge first before I dye it with spirit dye.

You could also use an artist's blending stump, maybe. They're cylinders of pressed paper, sharpened into a point, and they come in a wide variety of sizes. A package of three is about $1.29.

You could also use an artist's blending stump, maybe. They're cylinders of pressed paper, sharpened into a point, and they come in a wide variety of sizes. A package of three is about $1.29.

I don't know about those tashabear...never seen one, but they sound really good. Any Art supply store?

I use a piece of felt held with a plastic clip or I have some cotton daubers that I've burned down to about half the size.

Art

I don't know about those tashabear...never seen one, but they sound really good. Any Art supply store?

They look like this; you should be able to find them with drawing supplies. My husband buys them by the handful at Michael's Arts & Crafts.

A couple of years ago I landed a contract to make 100 belts for the Nicole Miller fashion house in the US. I couldn't face the thought of edging them all with a dauber or brush, so I made the little gadget pictured below. The reservoir is the cap from an aerosol can, and the central spindle is the plastic core from a thread spool. I hunted around for a not-too-soft foam to cover the spindle, and used a 3mm thick foam innersole, which is glued to the spindle. It's really easy to just draw the edge of the belt along the roller, which is constantly replenished from the reservoir.

I use it all the time now, but it's only suitable for non-spirit based dyes, such as Fiebings Edge Dye or Edge-Kote. Spirit-based dyes make the foam expand and disintegrate. It's saved me hours of fiddly work with a brush, and cost me nothing!

Just to show off, there's also a pic of Nicole Miller wearing one of the belts (not sure who the other girl is . . . maybe someone called Gershon?).

edger1.jpg

edger2.jpg

nicole_gina_gershon.jpg

post-7199-1225708676_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1225708699_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1225708722_thumb.jpg

Edited by celticleather

They look like this; you should be able to find them with drawing supplies. My husband buys them by the handful at Michael's Arts & Crafts.
Thanks tashabear....I can't wait to try one!
A couple of years ago I landed a contract to make 100 belts for the Nicole Miller fashion house in the US. I couldn't face the thought of edging them all with a dauber or brush, so I made the little gadget pictured below. The reservoir is the cap from an aerosol can, and the central spindle is the plastic core from a thread spool. I hunted around for a not-too-soft foam to cover the spindle, and used a 3mm thick foam innersole, which is glued to the spindle. It's really easy to just draw the edge of the belt along the roller, which is constantly replenished from the reservoir.I use it all the time now, but it's only suitable for non-spirit based dyes, such as Fiebings Edge Dye or Edge-Kote. Spirit-based dyes make the foam expand and disintegrate. It's saved me hours of fiddly work with a brush, and cost me nothing!Just to show off, there's also a pic of Nicole Miller wearing one of the belts (not sure who the other girl is . . . maybe someone called Gershon?).
That's a terrific! It's a mini version of the edge dyer that Weaver sells for lots of money. I like the size of yours better!
I use a piece of felt held with a plastic clip or I have some cotton daubers that I've burned down to about half the size.Art
Does the felt work better than the daubers?

I hadn't realised that Weaver sold these, so I just checked. At $41.25 + p&p, I'll stick to my free one!

best thing I've found is a small foam paint brush. I spread the edge coat onto a piece of glass so I'm only getting the paint on in a thin coat on the brush. Works like a charm, and you can wash it out after.

I hadn't realised that Weaver sold these, so I just checked. At $41.25 + p&p, I'll stick to my free one!

I like the size of yours better, too!

"Does the felt work better than the daubers?"I think it does for most things like belts. I'll take a picture tonight so you can see what I use. The guy who taught me also made saddle pads to go with his saddles and the left over that he trimmed off he would cut into squares and use it for edge dying.ArtThanks! Guess what I'll be making up this weekend. I have a couple of those inner soles sitting around just waiting for this use.Art

I was over at Lowes this weekend and I spotted something that I liked which I think might work very well for edge finishing. Here it is:

paint.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Shur-Line-57930-Rubb...y/dp/B000A2JTNW

It has a nice small sponge based roller and you can store your acrylic edge paint in there and clean it very easily. It was worth the $8 I paid just to try it out! If it doesn't work well for leather, it will be useful around the house.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks,

Art

If I've got a lot of edging to do, i.e. multiple belts, I use the Chaylor Fenelli edge roller thingy. It has a reservior and a plastic wheel that refreshes itself like celticleather uses. the advantage is the plastic wheel. It has grooves to wick away the excess dye and it won't degrade with using spirit dye. If I'm just doing one or two belts, I'll use the burnt wool dauber. It almost immediately develops the groove to keep the edge of the belt in and this will all but guarantee a straight even dye job. I prefer the dauber, but it's just not practical for a lot of belts, etc...

Marlon

HP,

Here is the felt I use to edge.

Art

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

post-195-1225768660_thumb.jpg

post-195-1225768668_thumb.jpg

If I've got a lot of edging to do, i.e. multiple belts, I use the Chaylor Fenelli edge roller thingy. It has a reservior and a plastic wheel that refreshes itself like celticleather uses. the advantage is the plastic wheel. It has grooves to wick away the excess dye and it won't degrade with using spirit dye. If I'm just doing one or two belts, I'll use the burnt wool dauber. It almost immediately develops the groove to keep the edge of the belt in and this will all but guarantee a straight even dye job. I prefer the dauber, but it's just not practical for a lot of belts, etc...

Marlon

Heck, if i'm doing large surfaces, I use a 2" house painting brush -- just pour the Edgekote into an old deli tub and have at it.

I picked up this gadget from Cheylor-Fenneli last spring, like the one that Marlon is talking about. It's just like Celticleather's homemade dealy, only it has a piece that prevents too much edge coat from getting on the roller. That's what the plate against the back of the roller is. It works perfectly! I never would have been smart enough to make my own.

Pictures_from_2007_432.jpg

post-1462-1225900534_thumb.jpg

Edited by yaklady

I would love to get my hands on one of those Yaklady!! I found Chaylor-Fenneli's website, but I could not find that item.

Could you or Marlon let us know where you purchased yours from????!??!!! PULESE?!?!?!?

Thanks!!

William

HP,

Here is the felt I use to edge.

Art

Art,

Where do you buy that felt? It looks less stringy than the f7 felt I have from McMasters.

I have a similar edging system.

Ed

I haven't bought any yet Ed. When my dad dies he had some in his stuff that I got. I almost threw it away and I'm now glad I didn't.

The man that taught me used felt scrap he had left over from making saddle pads. I don't know where he got that though.

Art

I haven't bought any yet Ed. When my dad dies he had some in his stuff that I got. I almost threw it away and I'm now glad I didn't.

The man that taught me used felt scrap he had left over from making saddle pads. I don't know where he got that though.

Art

The best source recommended to me was McMasters, which does have a large selection.

Ed