I picked up this gadget from Cheylor-Fenneli last spring, like the one that Marlon is talking about. It's just like Celticleather's homemade dealy, only it has a piece that prevents too much edge coat from getting on the roller. That's what the plate against the back of the roller is. It works perfectly! I never would have been smart enough to make my own.

Pictures_from_2007_432.jpg

That's it Kathy. That's the exact same thing I have. Do you leave dye in it, or do you clean it after each use?

I would love to get my hands on one of those Yaklady!! I found Chaylor-Fenneli's website, but I could not find that item.

Could you or Marlon let us know where you purchased yours from????!??!!! PULESE?!?!?!?

Thanks!!

William

William, I bought mine at the IFoLG show that was in Ft. Worth in '07. I'm sure if you call them, they can let you know if they still carry it. If I'm not mistaken, I think they have their own edge coat formula.

Marlon

That's it Kathy. That's the exact same thing I have. Do you leave dye in it, or do you clean it after each use?

William, I bought mine at the IFoLG show that was in Ft. Worth in '07. I'm sure if you call them, they can let you know if they still carry it. If I'm not mistaken, I think they have their own edge coat formula.

Marlon

I got mine from Keith Johnstone at the show in Wickenburg. They call it an Edge Dyer. They do have their own edge coat formula. It comes in black and brown, and they say it won't crack like Edge Coat will. I don't know what they call it, there is no printing on the bottle whatsoever.

William,

I have an email address for their US agent, Gary Stauffenberg. aussiechill@earthlink.net or phone: 602-264-4225. Gary is in Phoenix. If he doesn't work out, let me know and get you in touch with Keith.

I clean mine out each time. I thnk the roller would get clogged if it wasn't cleaned, then what's the use in having the grooves?

Kathy

Edited by yaklady

I haven't bought any yet Ed. When my dad dies he had some in his stuff that I got. I almost threw it away and I'm now glad I didn't.

The man that taught me used felt scrap he had left over from making saddle pads. I don't know where he got that though.

Art

I was just on the McMasters site. I think I'm going to try some of the harder grade felt for edge dye applications, though it is much more expensive than the F7 felt:

Hard Off-White S2 Felt

Temperature Range: -80° to +200° F

Vibration Absorption: Good

Abrasion Resistance: Excellent

This 95% wool felt is the hardest wool felt we offer, yet can still be used for polishing.

Grade 32S2— The hardest of the three S2 grades of felt we offer, this material is good for shock-absorbing bumpers, gaskets, and washers.

Grade 24S2— Good for buffing and padding applications, as well as in ink rollers and marking devices. Can also be used as gaskets and shock-absorbing bumpers.

Grade 20S2— Slightly softer than Grade 24S2 felt, it is often used on polishing wheels for buffing lenses, mirrors, glass, marble, granite, metals, and wood. It is also used for bearing seals, lubrication wicks, and fluid transfer components.

This S2 felt is about $19 to $22 for 12 sq. inches , 1/4" thick. The F7 I'm using is $3.60 for the same size. Maybe I'll try some scrap suede.

Ed

Edited by esantoro

A couple of years ago I landed a contract to make 100 belts for the Nicole Miller fashion house in the US. I couldn't face the thought of edging them all with a dauber or brush, so I made the little gadget pictured below. The reservoir is the cap from an aerosol can, and the central spindle is the plastic core from a thread spool. I hunted around for a not-too-soft foam to cover the spindle, and used a 3mm thick foam innersole, which is glued to the spindle. It's really easy to just draw the edge of the belt along the roller, which is constantly replenished from the reservoir.

I use it all the time now, but it's only suitable for non-spirit based dyes, such as Fiebings Edge Dye or Edge-Kote. Spirit-based dyes make the foam expand and disintegrate. It's saved me hours of fiddly work with a brush, and cost me nothing!

Just to show off, there's also a pic of Nicole Miller wearing one of the belts (not sure who the other girl is . . . maybe someone called Gershon?).

Genius!!

Hi I saw a new edge coat applicator in a sewing magazine and can not find it on the web. It is from Asia and had a few more features than the Tandy roller tool. Has anyone seen it? Thanks