Randyc

I need new leather shears for heavier weight leathers

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to purchase a new pair of good leather cutting shears for 6-9 oz. leather. A left handed pair would be a bonus.

Any recommendations?

Thanks Randy

Wiss shears would be my best bet. They do make a let handed shear.

Barra

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to purchase a new pair of good leather cutting shears for 6-9 oz. leather. A left handed pair would be a bonus.

Any recommendations?

Thanks Randy

Ginghers. absolutely the best! Springfield Leather sells them & tandy is now carrying them again after 20, 30 years. They make tandy's 'pro super shears' look like (& act like) first grade scissors.

I have had 4 pairs.: 1 I can't find, 1 I gave to my son, 1 I got on ebay & the last I got recently as a backup for shows.

russ

Ginghers. absolutely the best! Springfield Leather sells them & tandy is now carrying them again after 20, 30 years. They make tandy's 'pro super shears' look like (& act like) first grade scissors.

I have had 4 pairs.: 1 I can't find, 1 I gave to my son, 1 I got on ebay & the last I got recently as a backup for shows.

russ

Bought me a pair of Ginghers from Tandy just two days ago and waiting for it. Tandy is running a special at like half price of retail so definitely check it out.

I have grown to love my Razor Edged Shears from Fiskars. Cuts 12oz and up like a hot knife through butter. I have been using the same pair for about 4 years now and have only had to strop them. they will set you back about $50 depending on where you go, but it is well worth it. But that's my $0.02

russ

I just bought another pair today from Tandy- this makes 5 now (actually I had my son pick one up on his way home from Pgh today-they're on sale right now)... Little bit stiff through part of the cut, but superb cutting nonetheless...they'll loosen up, & with a little bit of lube, they'll be perfect. The current ones are made in Mexico, & I believe some were made recently in Brazil, but (& I may be wrong) I believe the originals were made made in W. Germany- I can't verify that because I can't find my first pair. The first pair I had had black handles, & this was back in the '70s. (So enough rambling on, & on, ad nauseum, already...)

russ

I would like to make a recommendation.

Look at www.wolffind.com, look in industrial scissors:

Industrial Scissors

They have a huge selection of shears.

I am a dealer for them as well.

I personally use the KAI 7280 model.

Kai 7280

They are workhorses. I can cut thick leathers and thin with little or no effort.

They are pricey. The 7280 run about $65.00.

I have found that the 5200 series are nice as well. They are not as heavy duty and do not have the same amount of metal and weight behind them as the 7200 series. They are a fine scissor though. All the Kai are made in Japan.

There are others on there as well. If you decide you's like to pick up a pair I will get Wolff to drop ship them to you. I will in return donate the difference between my cost (including shipping to you) to Leatherworker.net. So if on a $50.00 web price scissor, my cost is say $37.00 shipped to you, I will donate the difference of $13.00 to leatherworker.net. Sound cool?

This goes for ANYONE looking buy scissors for their own shop use.

Of course only if this is acceptable to Johanna.

Allen

That is a very generous and thoughtful offer, Scissormedic, and much appreciated. Thank you for thinking about LW! Not everyone realizes it takes money to keep the lights on and the coffee fresh.

>smooooch<

Johanna

electric scissors would be a good choose ,it can often able to be used interchangeably between the right and left hand

post-67428-0-96564400-1449122079_thumb.g

Have a look at these two companies

http://www.ernestwright.co.uk

http://www.whiteley.co.uk

I posted a thread about these on 11 Nov '15 under this section

Yes, I know you're in the USA and they're in Britain, but they do mail order

Edited by zuludog

I've always been parcel to Osborne rather than gingher I thought the Osborne was better steel and held the edger longer the left handed are far between any more . I use a set if Compton u set 14 inches I picked up years ago a these a way heavy duty at an auction those old scissors were made with a lot better steel