I still consider myself a novice to leather work and holster making. But I am glad to say I'm improving. I'm improving to the point I feel confident in the design and construction/durability of my holsters. I think I'm finally confident enough to switch from Tandy leather to Hermann Oak (never tried it, but there seems to be a consensus that it's high quality - usually).

I made this holster from Tandy 7/8oz leather. I made it for a co-worker for $40. He seemed really happy with it.

I'm particularity proud of the thumb break on this one (3rd one I've done). This is the first one where I extended the main belt loop leather up to the top of the thumb break (see back of holster photo), and then sandwiched the metal stiffener between two pieces of leather. I recessed the snap, which really streamlined the look. I had to improvise a punch for the snap recess: a 3/8 copper pipe cap was 'sharpened' and then hammered through before I applied the extended belt loop piece.

I think the trailing belt loop could have been in towards the trigger a year more. I'm going to look for a little thicker thread. I used thick thread on the main belt loop and back side of the thumb break. I'm thinking something in between the two sizes I used would be better. The thin thread almost disappeared on the stitch line next to the gun.

Speaking of the stitch line, I brought it in a smidge between the front of the trigger guard and the muzzle on my pattern (for next time).

Any comments or suggestions for improvements are eagerly sought.

Seen my pics are missing from this post, here they are again. Figured with almost 300 views, some folks want to see it. Funny how a year latter I look at this one and instantly know what I would do different. It's still in-service, but there are aesthetic changes I'd make. And nowdays I use Hermann Oak, which makes a huge difference right off the bat.

post-46186-0-19745100-1445206859_thumb.j

post-46186-0-40068500-1445206888_thumb.j

post-46186-0-64434400-1445206925_thumb.j

post-46186-0-03781800-1445206973_thumb.j