Sign in to follow this  
Sanch

Draw Gauge

So I know there's allot of choices but I'm looking for a fairly priced draw gauge does anyone own a Heritage and how is their quality compairitivly speaking say when put up against Tandy,Osborne etcetera. I currently have a lace cutter that is fine for lace but want to start doing belts,also I don't want a wooden strap cutter like the "original" thanks

Hate to say it but you can't go wrong with the Original and a sharp injector blade. Gump.

The Heritage are OK and would be a step up from the other two you mentioned, but then again they are about twice as much money too. They use set screws in the front instead of the traditional slotted screws on the old CS and HF Osborne Latta draw gauges that they are patterned after. The handles are a bit "clunky" with squared edges but you can reshape them some on a sander if you don't like that. Blade that come with it is an Osborne blade. It'll require some work to cut once you get it.

SCRATCH ALL THAT! I was thinking about the Master draw gauge Weaver sells and not the Heritage. I have had a few of them and the Heritage are OK. Same Osborne blade in the ones I had.

The lace cutter I spoke of looks like this one I fabricated it my self there are a few changes made so as to not infringe on the original it can use both injector blades and box cutter blades. It's just not to friendly when it comes to having to maneuver a double shoulder to cut a belt.

post-19140-0-35405900-1414943570_thumb.j

I have an Osborne draw gauge that I use to cut strap from pretty much everything. It works just as well cutting belts from 9-10oz as buckle straps from 4-5oz. I've had it for 12 years and never had to replace the blade, just strop it from time to time.

Many of the leatherworkers I've talked to prefer the older wooden type, but I've never been able to get them to work as well as the draw gauge. Your mileage may vary, but I can recommend the Osborne model.

update LOOK AT LATEST POST. buyer beware!

I have tried a bunch here and there and keep coming back to my Weaver Master tool draw gauge. It is cocked slightly and just seems to work much better for me.

I looked at the weaver but I just can't justify spending that much on one tool.

I looked at the weaver but I just can't justify spending that much on one tool.

Well You get what you pay for is what I have learned.. Like I said in my post.. It just works.. I would recommend tossing the thick blades that come with most of these tools and find the thinnest blade that you can get by with. Here at the shop we will grind the back side of the blades down and intentionally break them in half if need be.

Edited by Itch

Yes I am swiftly learning the you get what you pay for thing unless you make it yourself. I'm sure the blade is fine I just need to hone it.I also plan on making some spare blades out of bandsaw blade soon.