msollars

First Post: I'd Like To Make This Bag...need Guidance.

I would like to attempt to make the following tote bag as a first project/gift.

http://www.whippingpost.com/collections/totes/products/the-vintage-tote-bag

post-56596-0-35819800-1415299478_thumb.jpost-56596-0-87492000-1415299569_thumb.jpost-56596-0-98534200-1415299570_thumb.jpost-56596-0-91612300-1415299572_thumb.j

I contacted the site and found out that they use a 5/6 oz veg tan leather, and copper rivets.

Here is where the guidance comes in...

In being new, i need to know the following:

Where should i source the leather from?

How do I finish to obtain these results/color?

Where do i purchase the hardware/stitching material?

Also,

anything that you can think of that may help me in the process of creating this bag

Thank you all, and what a terrific forum.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Interesting, I would have sworn it was chrome tanned. Did they tell you the name of the leather? There are some veg tanned leathers with chrome tanned properties. They're probably a bit more expensive then simple chrome tanned. You could try maverickleathercompany.com - call them and ask them if they have any veg tanned leather that looks like chrome tanned. I'm sure they can help you out. You could probably send them an e-mail with a picture of that bag and they'd be able to give you good advice. I hear they're very friendly.

If you get the right leather (which i believe they did) you shouldn't have to do any coloring or finishing.

There are a lot of thread options. I think it depends upon what you're looking for. I use Tiger thread, but I have to order it from England right now, which is a bit of a pain. Some people have mentioned Maine Thread Company, I think for linen thread. You probably don't want larger than .8 or .6 mm thread.

Watch Nigel Armitage's saddle stitching tutorial, and you'll be set.

As for patterns, you can figure it out yourself, search the forum for patterns, or see if one of our members here, tboyce, has one or will make one for you. If he has one already made and it's public, I think you can use it for free, or if you want one made specially for you, he charges a very reasonable fee.

Have fun, and good luck!

Monica,

Thank you very much for the reply.

All the site responded with was "5/6 ox veg tan leather" so who knows.

I think I'll take you up on that advice to ask maverick about the chrome 'look' to it.

Do you have a resource that you use for hardware? (rivets or chicago screws?....preferably in copper)

thanks again, and you do beautiful work ( I was admiring your site!)

Matt

The copper rivets used on that bag are widely available from Tandy, Springfieldleather, and many others. You can also find a ton of information in the leatherworker.net forums, and videos about setting copper rivets on youtube.

Hope that helps

Bill

Matt and Monica, Nige is great! Here is his updated "Saddle Stitch in Detail" video that supercedes his first one. I've watched it a hundred times and learn something new each time.

Michelle

The leather looks chrome tanned, possibly oil tanned. Does not look vegetable tanned. If it was vegetable tanned it would be stiff as a board, not soft and supple.

The bag is pretty simple, but I recomend practicing before you cut up such a big piece of leather.

+1 on chrome tanned.

Also, here's an idea that I've put to good use. Get an inexpensive side of upholstery leather. It's pretty much worthless for making anything but clothing or small bags but... I got a cheap side on sale from Tandy for $35. I've used it a lot for testing patterns, making prototypes and practicing various techniques. It has saved me yards of good leather!

Michelle

Well, there's at least one kind of veg tanned that's not stiff as a board (Horween Dublin), but it's expensive..... But it certainly looks more like oil tanned to me. The meat side looks rougher than i would expect for a very expensive leather.

Edited by MonicaJacobson

+1 on chrome tanned.

Also, here's an idea that I've put to good use. Get an inexpensive side of upholstery leather. It's pretty much worthless for making anything but clothing or small bags but... I got a cheap side on sale from Tandy for $35. I've used it a lot for testing patterns, making prototypes and practicing various techniques. It has saved me yards of good leather!

Michelle

I also buy cloth backed vinyl at JoAnn's fabric shop with their weekly 40% off coupon, . . . getting the equivalent of about a full side of leather for 10 bucks or so. It mimicks 2 or 3 oz suede or chap leather in the feel and way it lays or works.

You can also practice your stitching on it, . . . getting the technique of awl punching, spacing, etc, . . . and it is a lot easier on your hands than leather.

Like leather, . . . it is also very unforgiving on badly made cuts, . . . so there are lots of "learing apps" with it.

Tandy sells a veggie tan leather that looks like that, . . . I forget what the other part of the name is, . . . maybe milled veggie tan, or something like that. It is quite soft and easy to work with, . . . I bought one piece once, . . .

But anyway, . . . the stitching is very straight forward, . . . done on the reverse, . . . then turned inside out.

I made one similar last summer, . . . turned out nice, . . . good luck.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you all for the replies.

I emailed, but never heard back from maverick leather co. i'll just keep waiting.

I really like the idea of practicing on something cheap. i'll plan on doing that.

I watched the old and new stitch videos....very informative and very well done. thanks for the resource.

The next step for me will be to practice and then do the real thing. i'll post pics of the finished bag whenever i get it done.

Thanks guys.

Matt