I've been trying to figure out how to transfer or print vivid and durable designs onto leather. I know it can be done because there is an etsy shop called Tovicorrie that sells exquisite printed leather goods: https://www.etsy.com/shop/tovicorrie. Some examples of their work are shown below. Anyone have an idea what process they might be using? Digital printing? Dye sublimation? Wizardry?

il_570xN.643756127_4ou2.jpg

il_570xN.358679401.jpg

il_570xN.659695068_6ff9.jpg

While I have no clue, . . . I'd sure like to know as well.

May God bless,

Dwight

Emmalceck --------------------------------------

Im going with Dwight , I'de like to know too, acrilic or what ?

These items are beautiful and vivid -------- Wild Bill46

There is also a method using heat sublimation...

This could be dye sublimation. Dye sub is tricky on leather because you need a polymer coating that allows the dye to bond. Some dye subbers employ a 2 part coating with a polyacrylic mixture that allows for a very clear/colorful image transfer. You'll want white leather for the image not to look too dark.

Edited by Tempestleather

Tempestleather,

Any idea how I can find out more about this polymer coating, like where to source it? Have you experimented at all with dye sublimation on leather and had good results?

I haven't actually, but I know a bit about the subject. There's a woman on eBay that sells coating called "DyePress." Supposedly she has clients that have had good success with white leather. Here's the link to her eBay site. I might contact her and see if the coating would be a good fit for you.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/dyepress

My guess is the process might take awhile to figure out, but the results can be amazing.

Thanks! This is actually one of the products that I found after this afternoon's research. :) I dropped the seller a message and look forward to experimenting and sharing my results!

i think that one is a faux..i have no idea how print machine/ink could work on leather

I used to work at a trophy shop and we used sublimation dye heat transfers onto metal and polyester material. I assume the process would be the same.

We would spray a bonding agent on to the light colored metal or material then place the art printed from our sub dye printer (Hewlett Packard laser printer), onto the object then apply heat using a heat press machine. All of the supplies are available and the dye is quite expensive.

I have a dye sublimation set-up. I transferred photos etc. onto just about anything you can imagine. Extremely high learning curve, printers get plugged with the subbing ink constantly, many products factory coated for sublimation, very few for leather. As above, the inks are very expensive plus one source company has a monopoly on the inks. It went through a very laborious court battle for a number of years. They can actually sue you if you source from China on your own.

All that said: You need a heat press, mine cost upwards of $2000. It is manually operated but Digital. I coated my own product using Auto Clear Coat. It is very expensive and a little softer than the commercially available pre-coated product. You can use a laser printer. If you have a heat press you can do a little experimenting with a laser printer. Print your subject matter onto a top grade Copy Paper, image reversed. Then you can transfer a decent image onto white leather such as Doe Skin. You would need to bake the leather with the image transfer for about 2 or 3 minutes at 300 degrees F. Leave it in the oven too long, you will get a discolored piece of white leather.

There is no White Sublimation Ink unless someone has developed it since I looked. I have printed Jet Black ink onto Unfinished Veg tanned, it can look real nice. Takes unbelievable amount of patience and many, many, pieces of scrap leather.

Now: Most of the very colorfully printed leather, fabric, etc. is done with "Direct Printing." The printers have a platen inside of the machine where the item to be printed lays.

These printers may have come down in price some since I checked but when I looked into the possibility, a good one with decent size capabilities cost $50,000.

Since we already have a CNC Router that cost $125,000 we didn't feel overly excited about another $50,000 for a printer.

ferg

Update on my last post:

Epson has a direct print printer for T shirts and other fabrics that uses white ink for a measly $18,000 - $20,000.

There are also Laser printers with white Toner.

ferg

I did a bit of research on this subject...

Acrylic paints (angelus) can be hand painted on leather cleanly and without any issues. So if you could put it through a screen press it would work in theory. The way acrylics are, they dry out fast and would require you to add screen printing medium so that it could work like a regular screen printing ink.

There are a lot of differences in leather even piece from piece (oils, dark base colour, different tannage) that can affect the print quality. Theres always a bit of testing required and no guarantees in effectively screen printing like the way t shirts can be done.

Edited by DavidL