Hi everyone - I've read completely through the guide to choosing a sewing machine, and have it narrowed down to the consew 206RB and the Juki 1541s, and now I'm stuck. They are both around the same price (although I found a dealer in Dallas who has a Juki clone called a Typical GC0605A for about $300 less). I make fashion style body harnesses, corsets, belts, and some garments. So far I've been sewing on a Janome MC6600, which does ok most of the time with very light leather, but gives up over thicker seams and occasionally just decides it doesn't want to sew something that its been working on all day with no problem. I generally don't sew anything more than single 5-8oz pieces or multiple pieces around 10 ounces total, and I figure if I really need to, then I can hand stitch pieces heavier than that. For the heavy pieces its usually not being attached to anything, but is decorative edge stitching.

Which machine do you think sounds more appropriate? I would be upgrading to the servo motor for either.

Thanks so much for any advice.

One difference I think is that later models of the Consew are made in China, I think starting with -5 a few were still made in Japan. The Juki 1541S is still made in Japan.

The Juki has an integrated bobbin winder which I like. I think that the Juki might be a more modern design.

I sewed for about three-weeks with a Consew 206RB which didn't like much. I have a Juki 1508 which I like very much.

In my experience the best thing you can do is, if possible, go to where the different machines are and sew on them. Take some of the material and thread that you will be using and put them thru their paces. This will allow you to decide which machine will be the best choice for you and your work. I have reached a point where (with very few exceptions) I won't buy a machine I can't sew on first.

I have a 206Rb-1, with #138 thread I can sew up to 1/4" leather without a hitch. The machine will sew 3/8" of leather, but it is more finicky. I have tried using #206 and # 277 thread, but the machine was not happy. This machine is super easy to use and diagnose.

I have no experience with the Juki

Never used the Juki, but the Consew is actually a pretty decent machine. It WILL sew 10 oz of leather with no issues, with thread from 42 to 207 (I mostly run 138 thru mine).

Having said that, there is something to be said for seeing the machine work. You get the advantage of seeing it do what you need it to, plus it's right there, so you don't spend money on shipping.

Bottom line, I'd probably try out the machine 'at hand', knowing that if you don't like the way it functions you can always order teh consew. Someone had a problem with letting you try the machine, that would be a BIG red flag for me.

Edited by JLSleather

I ended up with the Juki, mainly because my local dealer had one. I love it so far :)

my local dealer had one. :)

I also live in Austin and would like to know who is your local dealer.

BTW, I think you made a good choice.

Attached is a pdf copy of the service manual for the Juki 1541.

JUKI_DNU-1541_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf