JLSleather

Vintage Billfold Pattern

Anybody remember this one? Floral carved panels, name banner, carved inside pockets. Seems like it was one of the OLD books, maybe.

Wife is re-making this for someone. Tell me where to find it, and get a free holster pattern download :)

Standing Bears Trading Post?

(It was a wild guess but if I was looking for one I'd start their. They used to carry the old craft aid templates )

JLS sent you a PM

Has to be an old one -- you just don't see those carved and filigreed inside pockets any more!

Seriously? NOBODY remembers seeing those wallets with the carved veg-tan pockets?

That is from one of Al Stohlman's vintage pattern packs and I believe that I may still have it. It is also available through Tandy Leather's Leathercraft Library.

That is from one of Al Stohlman's vintage pattern packs and I believe that I may still have it. It is also available through Tandy Leather's Leathercraft Library.

Awesome! If you could let me know which one, I'll just go download it. I downloaded "Lucky 7" book today only to find out that's not it :)

Its hard to tell from the wallet picture but I though it looked similar to this without the scroll banner.

post-35343-0-02870900-1415832121_thumb.j

Edited by chrstn53

I don't think that's quite it. 'Preciate the effort, tho!

That is going to be a hard pattern to find. What does the other half look like?

There were several pattern companies offering bilfold kits with already pre-cut filigree leather in the catalogs of the 50s.

Some of them were already embossed or tooled; all the buyer did, was assemble the billfold. Actually, that is what this one looks like to me.

In any case; it is a very simple pattern and should not be too difficult to reproduce by making a good scan of it, and fiddling with the conrast in a photoediting program until you get a picture that you can make a good tracing from.

I have to wonder why the customer wants to have this rather dull and simplistic pattern. Have you suggested other designs to them? There are several better designs, with scrolls for a name, that are more readily available.

I believe the carving pattern is from the Belts Billfolds Alphabets download but it is a combination of two elements from that page. The actual design style for the components (if you need that) can be drawn from the Craftsman Instruction Book. Both of these are available as downloads from the Leathercraft Library.

Here is the one that I see as being the match:

post-21759-0-96705300-1415838206_thumb.j

:) Nope. Just downloaded both - don't think that's it. Guess I'll use those others somewhere, no foul. Anybody else?

Howdy - I went thru my folders, but did not find the exact pattern. However, for anyone interested in similar billfold construction with the veg tanned inside corner (and filigreed) pockets, several patterns can be found in Al Shelton's Pro-Patterns Series Two booklet, and F.O. Bairds Leather Secrets book page 45.

Hope you find your pattern. Good Luck!

Just saw this last post. I thought i remembered seeing some in Baird's book, but I haven't seen that one for a couple of years. THANKS.

looks like it may be one of the patterns from an old craftman pattern book

Well, don't know if it's THE one or not, but stick in something close-ish :)

post-13153-0-61149000-1419440113_thumb.j

I have that one Troy :) That's the new replacement, close as I could see the one she had. Basically, the name was about all that was recognizable any more on the old one.

Personally, I don't care for that stamped look, but that's what they had and what they wanted to replace with.

Edited by JLSleather