texasfireleather

Needing A Faster, Better Way To Paint Leather!

I currently use Angelus Acrylic paints on my products. Mainly, I paint stamped letters/emblems, on occasion, maybe a few other things. When I paint, I thin the paint with water and apply the coats, usually several coats, depending on the color. And when I mean several coats, I mean 5-10 coats. My problem is that my workload is through the roof and I need to find a way to reduce the amount of time that I spend on paint. I spend way too much time painting and it is putting me behind even more. What suggestions do you all have? What techniques do you all have to reduce the time spent on painting? Do you all know of another way, such as paint pens, ect? Thanks ahead for your input!!

I use angelus paints, I dont thin them, and I only use one coat.

That might save you some time. :)

Chuck

Edited by RiverCity

One is too thick usually. 3 to 5 is normally good in general for painting for leather is probably the same. If your problem is you are trying to get a solid colour for red or yellow try painting white or tan as a base coat and see if that works. Airbrush would be my choice of equipment if I had the option.

Texasfire ---------------

I think, Airbrush is a good option too !

For signwork I used to do what David L suggests in using an illuminating color for an undercoat.

such as tan, silver, white, or even yelow.

And if you did this using airbrush, because it not only uses less paint ,

dryes faster, and takes less time, And hopfully aid in solving your problem ? -------- Wild Bill46

I painted some black tumbled leather sneakers bright red and it took me 9 or 10 coats.. all using angelus leather paint no thinner. 1 coat is WAY too much paint, way TOO fast. For the best finish and little to no brush streaks you need at least 4 or 5 coats idc what color you are painting. And like said above an airbrush works wonders and will give you the best finish. You can use heat gun in between coats to fasten dry time

I use acrylic paint you can buy an any hobby store, and walmart even, comes in a million different colors. Thin it with distilled water, and I have to apply 3-4 coats to get solid coverage. Dries very quickly. Trying to get full coverage with 1-2 coats using a brush applies the paint to thick, and it will just chip/flake off.

VanFlowersStrap2A_zps8f2db16c.jpg

My experience with an airbrush is that when you set the air pressure just right, thin it just right, and spray it correctly, it dries almost immediately. I am going to start airbrushing leather in the near future, before I just used them on guitars I built.

I know the basics behind paiting, I've been doing it for years with a brush, so on and so forth. I see there is a huge response for an airbrush, which I know nothing about. I attached a photo to maybe help better understand what I do and if airbrushing is still an option. Thanks everyone for their response, I really appreciate all of your input. post-49548-0-29195400-1415952134_thumb.j

post-49548-0-33751900-1415952155_thumb.j

post-49548-0-65361800-1415952174_thumb.j

post-49548-0-42591800-1415952268_thumb.j

post-49548-0-67399200-1415952286_thumb.j

post-49548-0-75885300-1415952303_thumb.j

Edited by texasfireleather

When airbrushing fine or small items like this lettering, how do you hit the inside of the letter and not outside?

When airbrushing fine or small items like this lettering, how do you hit the inside of the letter and not outside?

Someone with skill with an airbrush could easily do that. Someone like myself, probably not so well. A quality airbrush, set correctly, with someone who knows how to use it, has the capability of pinpoint accuracy. It is an amazing tool, and you can see artists in many genres using them.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Im still not understanding why 1-2 coats is supposedly a bad thing? Ive never had angelus chip off, or look gloopy. Not saying its not possible, just that Ive never had it happen. Especially if you seal it with resolene.

Here is instructions straight from angelus, and they suggest 3-5 non dilluted coats for large coverage areas like shoes. Painting letters etc for me 1 coat supplies great coverage, with a touch up sometimes if it dries lighter in spots because it was too thin on that area.

http://angelusdirect.com/pages/faq

Chuck