shug

Beginner Holsters Looking For Info

hi,i am looking for holster gun formers in the uk.it is only a hobby so funds are low and advice is welcome.i enjoy my hobby though I realise my attempts are amateurish but I learn more with each project so with that in mind I have included some photos of my work and would appreciate input and advice,especially on how to obtain gun moulds.also I fancy making a western style gun slip for a 1/2 scale static Winchester I am making and would like pictures etc on how they were constructed,leather type and weight etc.looking forward to talking to people and hoping to learn something new.thanks.

post-16203-0-96491800-1415834351_thumb.j

post-16203-0-73844200-1415834373_thumb.j

post-16203-0-78231200-1415834397_thumb.j

post-16203-0-17450500-1415834629_thumb.j

That's some nice work you've got there, I wouldn't call that beginner :thumbsup: It says on the BlueGuns site there are two distributors in the UK, I am not sure if that is what you are looking for but those are used in holster making a lot. I don't know for sure but you may be able to use airsoft guns as well... Hopefully some of the pros will come on here soon.

shug said: "I fancy making a western style gun slip for a 1/2 scale static Winchester I am making and would like pictures etc on how they were constructed,leather type and weight etc........"

Well, . . . in the US, . . . a slip is either a receipt from some retailer, . . . or that silky thing your wife wears under her dress...........

But I'm guessing you wanted information on a "rifle scabbard", . . . and while I don't have a lot, . . . I'll share this one with you that I made for a friend some time back. It is made of 2.5 / 3mm leather, . . . and has a very short sheep wool / skin lining. The wool itself was about 6 or 7 mm long.

I would not normally put fringe on the bottom, . . . but the customer is always right, . . . so he got fringe on it.

There is a sewn plug in the barrel end, . . . that is the only way I do these, . . . some will just sew it shut, . . . but that pinches the front sight and barrel, . . . and can cause abrasion which could cause "stuff" to get in the end of your rifle barrel, . . . which is not at all a safe thing.

The actual scabbard itself is one piece of leather, . . . sewn together at the bottom.

The lining is first contact cemented to the outside, . . . then sewn at the open end before the bottom was sewn together.

The whole thing was finished in Resolene to help protect it from sweat and abrasion if it were ever actually to see use on a horse. Personally I think it will become a wall hanger, . . . but that is up to my friend.

Most rifle scabbards will only show the last 30 or so cm on the stock, . . . protecting all of the metal parts from sweat of the horse and rider. On a lever action, I would cover the whole lever, . . . making even less of the stock show.

Hope this helps, may God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-36436000-1415885033_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

Aha, there what did I tell you, there is a pro whith some very good information on scabbards.

thanks for the replies,some very useful advice I will take on board.it,s nice to talk to people with similar interests .I am also interested in making traditional archery tackle,i have made longbows in the past and would like to talk to anyone with views on this subject.looking forward to ideas.thanks again to ramblinrovers and Dwight for making me feel welcome and the encouraging comments.

only a fool lands on his feet,the wise man lands on someone elses.

are water based dyes as good as oil based? also,i have experimented with iron scrap and vinegar,and while producing a good colour,i wonder if the vinegar harms the leather in the long run?

Dwight gace you some good info on scabbards. There are some how to's on youtube as well that would be worth your while to look at. I will give some answers to your other questions. As to if oil dyes or water based dyes are better. THat is kind of a loaded questions, on the order of what is better a 9 mm or a .45. YOu will find people that will choose one over the other. I use both depending on what I am doing. Mainly because there are colors available in one that are not available in the other. As to water based I use the Eco FLo Proffessional when I do use water based. It seems to have far less rub off then the oil based. As to vinegaroon I have used it for many years as have others on here. If you neutralize it with a quick dunk in a water baking soda bath then give a quick rinse with clean water the roon should do no harm to the leather. THere are several threads on these forums on binegaroon and if you go over to cascity.com forums click on leahtershoop then FAQ's How to's find the old time dyes thread you will find a lot of info on vinegaroon. If you look in the Gun holster, Rifle Sling, Knife Sheath forum on here you will find a post by Brushopper of some of his scabbards he has made, he is from UK as well.

Edited by camano ridge

thanks for that,i will look it up asap,i like the colour produced by vinegaroon(great word)and I do like using traditional methods .thanks again.