CustomDoug

Bench Grinder (1725 Rpm) - Making It Useful For Leather Work?

Hi folks, I have an 8" bench grinder that runs at 1725rpm with 5/8" arbors. I use it mostly with a wire wheel to help clean off parts while doing car restoration. Works well for that. But reading thru some posts on here, I've come to realize that this machine might be helpful for my other hobby - leather working.

Unfortunately it's a little foggy about what I need to make this thing useful. Or if it can even be done. Apparently some people have turned their machines into burnishers. I'd like to do that too with perhaps a variety of sanding attachments for the left side and a hardwood burnisher on the right - If that's possible at all (I've seen the Cobra MP burnisher machine though).

Like I mentioned this machine has 5/8" arbors on either side.. which seems a little large to me, but are there a certain kind of sanding attachment that might work with it (maybe some kind of drum sander that would fit)? Or are there sanding "wheels" I should consider?

What about a burnisher for the other side? Anyone make one to work with a 5/8 arbor and 2.5 metric thread pitch? Custom makers?

Additionally, could this machine be used for sharpening round knives, clicker knives, Bell knives, etc? What attachments are recommended for that kind of thing (I obviously know very little about sharpening stuff - but a quick study who's willing to learn).

Doug C

BTW - I read 5/8" off one of the wire discs that's currently mounted... but the Arbor bolt's thread pitch seems to be 2.5mm (I checked with a gauge). The arbor bolts are .625"/15.87mm in diameter. Maybe the bolts are a metric size like M20 or M22 (I don't know the difference though)? If this is the case, maybe an adapter could be obtained for use with tool attachments that might work. Anybody know the arbor bolt size that I have on this machine? thanks.

Doug C

Edited by CustomDoug

You could get an arbor motor mount with the 5/8 hole and the shafts are usually 1/2" twenty threads , some are 3/8 twenty four threads. They mount with two set screws easily could drill a hole in a Burnisher and epoxy it to the end . Then just install and remove with an Allen wrench on the 1/2- 20 you could buy an drill chuck and mount it to one too same threads are in drill chucks . Limit less use from an old motor. Use your imagination make all your tools from one. Gary

I'd told myself to avoid the adapters that mounted w/ set screws. My assumption is/was that the burnisher (being a somewhat long shape) would wobble because of a slight offset cause by the set screws. I have no experience to back that up though - do you guys find that's not an issue? Otherwise I'm all for that solution.

I need to figure out exactly what size bolts/arbor is on this grinder (M** or 5/8" and what thread pitch). I'd prefer direct mount but perhaps Metric (my guess) to US bolt adapters are not even available for this kind of application.

Here's a nifty little drum sanding unit that I'd love to get for the left side of my grinder.. it includes fine, medium and coarse grits all on one drum and is only $44. Looks like it mounts via set screws but there are no mention of the hole diameter: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/multi_sand.htm

Doug C

I am wondering how you made out with your attachments to your grinder, Doug. I also bought a motor (1725 rpm) and an arbor with grinding wheels, and I am trying to figure how to set up a drum sander on the left side. For the right side I am going to use my lathe and turn a leather slicker from hard wood.

Put ' Bench Grinder drum Sander' into Google

Put 'Armitage Leather Tools Leather Burnisher' into YouTube

Both of those should give you ideas

Campbell Randall sells the Italian felt and felt/leather disc burnishers in many styles. They'll mount directly to your arbor just like a grinding wheel. You may need a reducing bushing.

Put ' Bench Grinder drum Sander' into Google

Put 'Armitage Leather Tools Leather Burnisher' into YouTube

Both of those should give you ideas

Good advice. I have a set coming and I'll be writing a review on both pieces. Just speaking with Nigel and Jason Cherry (from Justwood.com) I'm expecting great things.

I bought a very cheap bench grinder and 2 of those Spindle adaptors. My husband turned down a 3inch burnisher on his lathe for me for one side. The other side I use a buffing wheel. It all works pretty well for me.

YouTube was very handy for helping with the ideas.

https://store-wkk4jhm.mybigcommerce.com/cart.php

http://www.proedgeburnishers.com/burnisher-spools--sanding-drums.html

These are what I used, there is a bit of wobble, nothing that is disturbing and setup cost less than $250.