biglew

Need A Holster Pattern For A S&w Model 59 Its Like A Standard Size For A S&w 9Mm / 45 Cal / Glock

I was wondering if anybody can help with a pattern or point me in a direction..

need a holster pattern for a S&W model 59 its like a standard size for a S&W 9mm / 45 cal / Glock

Thanks

Lew

Big Lew, what style are you looking for pancake, avenger, shoulder ect.

I'd love to help but, though I am an avid supporter of 2nd amendment rights, our special needs son who has the savant capabilities of Houdini when it comes to getting into things has assured that we just don't keep guns in the house...I wouldn't know how to begin drawing up a pattern for you.

Darn it!..now I want to start researching holsters and make all kinds of holster patterns. Everything else is on hold now Big Lew! Dozens of people will now be denied timely pattern uploads because I'm gonna be focused on holsters!

LOL.... you just need to quit your job and make patterns full time... you are already popular.....

everyone holsters ;-)

Holster patterns, please, please, please.

Really? Nobody? Googlizin' says that's a 4" barrel, so this won't fit. Still, seems like SOMEbody should make a quick rig and show us a picture of the fit :)

Edited by JLSleather

Big Lew, what style are you looking for pancake, avenger, shoulder ect.

+1

Umm, order a Blue Gun and make the pattern yourself?

pancake or avenger

thanks

Lew

Umm, order a Blue Gun and make the pattern yourself?

Thanks....... I would but I don't make gun holsters... just want to make one for my gun

I use construction paper when making a pattern.

front_zpsf85a9aa4.jpg

back_zps8a9a597a.jpg

making sure to take into consideration the thickness of the leather and stapling along the stitch line.

Sometimes I'll cut away bits of paper, sometimes I'll tape bits of paper back on and sometimes I'll throw it all away and start all over.

Once I'm happy with how it looks, I'll start cutting leather.

JohnH_zps5c368895.jpg

securedownload_zpsa925ed49.jpg

I'll use Blue Guns when I don't have access to the actual firearm. But if I have access to the actual firearm, I'll go ahead and use that.

chip02_zps577194bc.jpg

Edited by snubbyfan

I use construction paper when making a pattern.

making sure to take into consideration the thickness of the leather and stapling along the stitch line.

Sometimes I'll cut away bits of paper, sometimes I'll tape bits of paper back on and sometimes I'll throw it all away and start all over.

Once I'm happy with how it looks, I'll start cutting leather.

Thank you... I think I will try that. Yours look like they came out great....

thanks

Lew

Lookin' forward to seein' what ya come up with.

Really? Nobody? Googlizin' says that's a 4" barrel, so this won't fit. Still, seems like SOMEbody should make a quick rig and show us a picture of the fit :)

attachicon.gif1911_whp.pdf

Anybody put ona those together? I added 1/4" to the safety strap (left side of pattern) and moved the snap up that same 1/4". In actual practice, I never mark the female end on the pattern -- but instead I put the male end (and reinf metal if used), assemble the holster, then press the strap on the male end to mark the position of the female snap. Avoids any issues that could have resulted from different leather thicknesses.

Biglew, like Snubby, I also use paper. One thing to remember, paper does not stretch or shrink like leather do. If you like details and good retention, I would go with a front and back type holster (pancake style). You get great definition and good to great retention without having to add a thumb break. This is what I do for my patterns:

1. Get a piece of cardstock type paper to do your prototype pattern. Construction paper works, but you have to find a piece that will be big enough. I use grocery store paper bags, they are hard enough to start with plus they are usually free when you go to the store. (I use those bags for targets too, cut it in the right place, you get a torso target)

2. Trace the gun as close as you can. Make sure you cover all aspects of the firearm (trigger guard, trigger, grip, hammer, sights.......)

3. Measure the thickness of the gun along the stitch line.

4. Divide those measurements in half.

5. Add the thickness of the leather (e.g. for 1911s they are usually 1.25 or 1 1/4 in at the slide divide that in 1/2 and you get .625 or 5/8 in. If you are using 8 oz leather, then add .125 or 1/8 in to the .625 or 5/8. 5/8 + 1/8 = 3/4; .625 + .125 = .750)

6. That results will become your stitch line.

7. Trace the results from step 6 along the gun trace (I usually mark those with hashed lines)

8. Mark the outline of your envisioned holster on that paper and there you have it, your own pattern. Make sure you take in consideration the belt loops, and seam allowance. Belt loops are usually 5/16 wide by 1.5 in long.

9. Once I am satisfied with the pattern, I transfer to a heavier cardstock so I can use it many times.

My patterns are tight so I can get good retention without the use of a thumb snap. That means that when wet molding, I stretch the leather some.

Good advice from Splash, I usually just kinda "eyeball" my patterns.

I lucked into a free ream of construction paper. If I need larger than a sheet a little masking tape helps.

My own personal holster has friction retention. No need for a thumb break.

brownbasket_zpsb98238c8.jpg

snobby, splash..... thank you both for your advice.... no w i need to get off my buttt

One thing I forgot is that on the first holster I make from that finished template, I make it from low quality/cheap leather. I do that so I dont waste some good HO or W&C leathers in the case that the pattern needs adjusments.