Greenwood

Curled Front Jockeys And Skirts

Hi All

Please help, a customer wants me to straighten the jockeys and skirts that have curled from years of abuse by setting saddle nose down and using the horn as a handy hook for the stirrup. The saddle seems to be in a fairly good condition otherwise although it is dry and needs oiling and conditioning. I have tried to fix this problem before with zero success. Can anyone outhere help me solve this.

Thank-you, Leo

Leo, it is a process that does take some effort, but can be done. When I get one in like that, I remove the skirts wet them thoroughly and form them over a saddle stand and let them dry and take the new shape. Usually, I am also replacing the fleece on the saddle and so I also put new plugging at the same time. As for the jockeys, I wet them thoroughly also, form them down and let them dry also. afterwards oil well and reassemble the saddle. Hope that helps.

Bob

Thank-you Bob

I guess I was just a little to hurried! It's a several day process; soak, form andlet dry.

Thanks, Leo

I've soaked them and used cotton flannel strips to hold them in position, without removing them. "Everybody wants a cheap fix!!"