JoeSnuffie

Nautical Wallet For A Merchant Marine

The customer asked me to "come up with something nautical" so I did. He liked it so much that he ordered 3 more when he picked it up and got some business cards to hand out on his boat.

Nautical Wallet Finished

Nautical Wallet Progress

Nautical Wallet Progress

Joe +++++++++++++++++++

Your Nautical theme is cleverly implimented,

Very nice indeed !!I like this wallet ! _________ Wild Bill46

That´s really neat! Love it. Exspecially the decent, yet very clear nautic design... great job.
May I ask, how you you made the impression on the front? Looks like you used some model or similar from behind.

Very awesome! Great design and craftsmanship! How did you assemble the pockets?

Sona, I used en embossing folder that I got from Hobby Lobby. It works well on leather.

Im Joe,

• I but strips of 2.5oz calf at 2" wide and ran them through my splitter to get them to .3mm. The calf is still really tough at this thickness.
  • After splitting, I trim them to be straight and 1.25". I cut them to 4.5" pieces, flip them over and draw a line from end to end .75" from the nicest edge (this will be on the front).
  • I cut the fabric 4" wide and 2.5" tall.
  • I apply contact cement to the back of the leather and a little extra on the .75" area where the cloth will attach.
  • I lay the cloth, face down, right up to the line, but not covering it. This allows me to fold the .5" section over at the line without bunching up.
  • I apply a little more contact cement to the back of the cloth, only coming .5" from the line so that all the cement is covered by the leather fold over.
  • When it's nice and tacky, I carefully fold it over and hammer it with my chasing hammer.
  • With this done, I stack them for stitching. I decide how tall I want the wallet and how far the cards should stick out. I draw a line on each piece of fabric where the stitch will me and then glue the leather at the tabs to set them in place.
  • The next step is stitching and after that I attach the last pocket, line it up on the liner, glue it in place, poke some holes and then stitch.
  • After this is done I trim the excess from the edge of the liner.

If this isn't clear enough let me know and I'll try to explain better. The contact cement is stronger than the leather and attempting to remove the cloth after 48 hours results in torn leather. Also, the cloth is stitched in place at both sides so it isn't going anywhere.

And thank you for the compliments. This project didn't make me any money after all the time I spent in coming up with the ideas for it but I think it was my most enjoyable project to date. And as a bonus, I get to make 3 more which will definitely make me a little Christmas spending money. Unfortunately, my wife will probably find out and want her cut.

Awesome!!! love the liner you chose