raysouth

What Do You Collect?

Ray,

The 1929 Fargo Caravan sounds very cool! I am sure it will be hard to part with your last hot rod car. But good for you for knowing when to quit. We don't want to pass a mess down to our family to deal with some day when we check out for good.

Seems to be that 1967 was one of the very best years for cars, don't you think? I like the old 67 Dodges, mainly Dodge Dart 2 door. But have had a 1967 Volkswagon which I loved and had forever, then sold that before the kids started driving. Husband called it a death trap. Good thing kids didn't drive it, we wanted heavier cars for them. Wish I had that Beetle again though, but we have a new Beetle now. It is fun, but oh how I miss smelling the gas fumes of the 67. No, not really!

I too am at a point where I want to lighten my load, have been going through things and selling, giving away, donating. It is good to pass things on for others to enjoy. Such material creatures, aren't we?

God Bless you too Ray!

Ray, I checked out the MVPA, what a great site! I love seeing old things restored, rather than junked and left to rust.

Suzelle, the collecting bug has probably, at one time or another, bitten us all to some degree. I just never know when to quit. lol. 67 was a great year and produced some very interesting rides. I suppose when spring arrives I will begin to advertise my truck for sale. I look at it and the mind tells me what I could do but the body tells me that is not going to happen. Don't know who to believe. lol. Parting with our treasures is difficult but perhaps we can find something totake up the slack.

Going South, Happy to hear that the MVPA site was a pleasant experience. Great group of folks. If you want to see some vehicles that are still being offered for sale, visit vintagepowerwagons.com and look at all the goodies they have. The last vehicle I had was somewhat modern M-886 Ambulance and had a M-43 Canadian Ambulance some years ago. Why I had ambulance vehicles is a mystery. Great fun.

God Bless and keep on letting us know what you are collecting.

God Bless.

Ray

OKAY MY LEATHERWORKING FRIENDS, I have decided to part with many items in the shop and am going to do something a bit different than many folks do with their collectibles.

My wish is to clear my shop so that my beloved will not have to deal with my many accumulations of goodies when my time comes.

Here is what I plan to do:

You send your contact information to me, along with a mailing address, items you like to collect, etc; and I will dig around in the shop and send you, FOR COST OF POSTAGE ONLY, something that may be of interest. No guarantees as to what may be in the parcel but postage charge will be your only expense. I will utilize Priority Flat Rate whenever possible. Media mail for books, unless you opt for other shipping method.

If you are open to receiving interesting items, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY MIGHT BE, please mention that in your contact information.

Please, understand that this will be a drawn out process for me as I motivate at a snails pace but I will get it done.

If this appeals to you, I will be looking for your information in my mailbox and no information will be exchanged or released to anyone.

FUN THING TO DO WHILE I AM ABLE AND NO BETTER GROUP OF FOLKS TO SHARE WITH. GET ON THE LIST SOON AND AS I FIND A TREASURE, I WILL CONTACT AND TELL YOU OF THE SHIPPING CHARGES AND YOU CAN DECIDE IF YOU WISH REMIT FUNDS AND RECEIVE THE ITEMS.

REMEMBER, I WILL NOT DIVULGE WHAT MAY BE IN THE PACKAGE/PARCEL AND YOU ONLY PAY FOR THE SHIPPING.

Hope this is fun for all who participate.

God Bless.

Ray

No idea what happened a few moments ago. Was working on this post and all of a sudden I was knocked out of the Leatherworker site and lost the post altogether. Strange.

Had thought that there were more folks into collecting on the site but I am looking at the collecting thing from my perspective. Never could resist starting another collection of things found in my travels.

It just continues today as recently I was the recipient of some 30's thru 60's jewelry, of many types, both art deco and a some with precious metals. Yesterday, I came into a small parcel of watches, although none very old but not a good judge of these things.

Well I have had enough collecting now and have decided that it is time to give it up. All good things must end but certainly many hours of pleasure along the way.

I plan to continue my offer of free collectibles for postage only, through next week, unless of course, I am able to find homes for the goodies on site. See my previous entry of Dec. 1 and contact me if interest is there.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray,

Really great IDEA you've got here. At some point I'm sure that I will borrow this from you.... probably sooner than later.

Anyway, my 2 addictions are vintage writing instruments s/a fountain pens and mechanical pencils and then vintage watches. These 2 have plagued me since my youth. Started writing with fountain pens in kindergarten and never could get into the BIC- rollerball pen stuff.... just never worked for me.

Thank you sir,

Paul

I'm more of a book hoarder than a collector, since it's more along the lines of "is this something I want to read?" Need to build another book shelf, or three...Maybe four. >_< I also have a bad habit of picking up Pathfinder figurines even though I don't have the chance to play too often. Need to make more shelves for those, too. I'm in danger of collecting recurve bows, I've only got the one so far but the only thing stopping me from getting a messload more is money. ;)

Hi Ray

Greetings and Best Holiday Wishes to you........ Wow, just found this thread and I has been a fun read...

What I have been collecting is items made of cobalt blue glass. I started my collection of cobalt blue glass and then my

friends have helped add to it.

Glass, that is old glass always interested me because we had an oooold friend in eastern Wa. that had a room of shelves

along all the wall - top to bottom - just full of old glass that had changed color from sitting the sun. I have some pieces from

that collection that have turned different shades of purple.

Something else that I have always loved, but can't afford to collect, is old trucks and we used to have an old ambulance that my father fixed up for camping and rock collecting. I loved riding around that ambulance when I was a kid...

Here's a couple of pictures of our old vehicles....... Grrreat Memories! Hope you enjoy the pics!

post-15330-0-04834700-1417917088_thumb.j post-15330-0-15891200-1417917172_thumb.j post-15330-0-64159400-1417917695_thumb.j

Good Morning Drakkon and Cheryl,

My wife is a book hoarder and could never read all she has in two lifetimes, lol. We both enjoy good books, although I don't have the desire to keep them around unless they pertain to some research, or ideas for future use with my many and varied projects.

I have sold a few via Amazon but it has become more hassle that I care to handle so decided to give them all away to others expressing an interest and willing to pay postage. I understand the shortage of cash that folks are experiencing. Tough to amass enough to purchase the "goodies" we just have to have. Everything a challenge of late.

Cheryl, Collecting glass is a fragile thing. Always feared I would break a valuable piece so only collected drinking vessels, ie; cups, mugs, steins, etc. Have over a thousand that will soon need a home but need to find the right collector that is willing to take in all of them. Many are not displayed as I was no longer able to install hooks in my work area, to hang them, so just packed them loosely in boxes and hid them in the small loft. Was fun and have them from many parts of the world, along with a few very special items I was attracted to.

As for the old vehicles. WOW!!!!! My favorite Power Wagons. Love them and they are outstanding treasures. Could never get enough of them. Only one left here is the 67 Dodge d-100 hot rod and hope to locate a buyer as weather improves and gets the collecting fever in motion around here. It is a very nice truck but I am not able to operate the fast vehicle and traded my 29 Fargo for it as it was completed and ready to go. Miss the Fargo but time waits for-------------, as the saying goes. Those pics are treasures themselves.

I still enjoy looking at the vintage power wagon site and MVPA, just to keep my memory bank and dreams intact.

Keep in touch,

God Bless.

Ray

Hey Ray, I've never heard of a Fargo, so I had to go looking... found an interesting website with some history

and pictures. Found a pic of a 1929 Fargo clipper and down the page a bit another of a great 37/38 Fargo pickup

that looks like it could be one of the first dodge pw....

post-15330-0-95839900-1417975541_thumb.j post-15330-0-92785200-1417975568_thumb.j

I just love old trucks... and understand why you miss your 29 Fargo. got any pictures? I'd love to see one.

Hello Cheryl,

The clipper is very similar to the Fargo Caravan I had and when I can locate pics I will send. Computer crash and Microsoft combined, brought about loss of most of my materials. I know that some of the items are still on the computer but seem to be a nightmare to locate.

Picture the Clipper with another window along each side and will give you a better idea of what I had. The Clipper was a lighter version of my Caravan but the Caravan was a custom build for physician in Nova Scotia and was the only one of the type made. Was very unique in many ways. It was made up as camper, or rv, for the gent and he had custom window screens that snapped in place for each of the rear windows, a folding step between the rear doors, metal box recessed in the floor for ice and cold storage, bed with storage underneath, fly rod holder above the rear windows and more. It was upgraded to travel todays highways with Dodge power train, auto transmission, etc. I added many more custom items that made it a real pleasure to drive, visited many exhibitions, won tons of trophy's, and the greatest thing for me was the fact that I would never see another one like this car, in the world. I could go on and on but certain you understand my thrill of ownership.

Fargo became a division of Dodge/Chrysler and remained a Dodge likeness in Canada, Brazil, Australia and was produced until 1972, I believe. If my information is correct, it may still be in production in countries other than Canada.

While I was in a very desolate village in Mexico, some years ago, I went to the Mercado with friends and lo and behold, there was a Fargo flatbed truck from the 40's and best of all, it was in pristine condition. Owner would not part with any piece of the truck, no matter what I tried. He loved his truck as I did my car. lol.

Rattled on enough.

God Bless.

Ray

When I was a kid I have been collecting Coca Cola "stuff". I still have some bits floating around but most items are gone.

I´m collecting US Military Uniforms + Equipment from the 1940´s - 1960´s (or mid 1970´s). Mainly 1960´s era items.

So if you folks wanna get rid of something drop me a PM. ;)

Watches and hobbies :)

Gemstone cabochons. I developed this habit of checking the expiring listings on ebay and picking up very interesting cabs for very cheap. Moonstone, labradorite, turquoise, dinosaur bone, chalcedony, ruby, emerald, sapphire... some bizarre ones that have taxidermied insects in them, some that change colour with temperature... you name it. While I can embed cabs in dog collars, I'll never use up all the cabs I have. I like having the option of using them, and once in a while I pull them out to admire and think "my preciousssssss!".

I also learned how to knit this year, and OMG I'm a yarn hoarder. Leatherworking always comes first, of course, so I rarely find time to knit a project. That doesn't stop me from buying yarn for future projects.

I kid you not, I just noticed that my dog got into my yarn stash. There goes the rest of my evening untangling...

More interesting collectibles. WWII items are very popular. Stumbled upon a WWII wire reel that the commo folks used to use to string the phone lines during combat. I can recall movies that depicted a commo soldier, running and unwinding the wire. Dangerous occupation.

Watches and watch straps surely can produce some very interesting items. Enjoy seeing them and doing a bit of day dreaming about when they were developed and where they may have been used.

Cabochons are indeed, beautiful collectibles and so many opportunities to create desirable items with them. Must keep your mind in overdrive, planning your next wonderful project. Whenever I found one I grabbed it, if for no other reason that amazing beauty.

Keep on collecting and hope more lend some input.

God Bless.

Ray

While not exactly collectible, I've always been fond of airplanes and aerospace, particularly from the 1930's to the 1960's. It was a period of amazing change at an amazing pace. I find myself particularly fascinated by radial engines, so I've been collecting some books on the subject, including a number of old operation, maintenance and overhaul manuals mostly dating from the 1930's and 1940's. I think the gems in the collection are a Wright Cyclone maintenance and overhaul manual that when opened SMELL of an aviation shop. There's nothing like the smell of old grease, oil and avgas ... LOL I've also managed to come across some other relatively rare (declassified) manuals, including a B-36 flight manual and some Atlas missile books!

Bill

Ray, your are a treasure! You evoke kindness and good memories. I have a pension for elk ivory. Love the stuff! I have found some great pieces at a local gun show and in Jackson Wyoming when it was easier for us to get there.

jr

Billybop, I love anything that has to do with aircraft. Had the bug early in life and much enjoyed my time in the air, especially when I did my solo. WOW, what a treat that was. Forgot all I knew when the wheels broke the ground and the crosswind got hold of me. lol. You are correct, nothing better than being around the aircraft goodies. I enjoy them all but must admit, the WWII era machines are favorites.

JREESER1, I have never seen elk ivory but certain that it must be splendid item to have around. Not many elk in this area, or anywhere close. Found a few antlers that were shed in the woods and still have them somewhere in shop, I believe. Thought I might make something of them one day but that day never came.

Last week I responded to email from person residing in New Mexico and I mentioned that I always wanted to move to that area, especially around Kanab. lol. Think I had the wrong state in mind. Somewhere up your way would fit better if I hoped to get to Kanab. Always able to make a fool of myself and enjoy the chuckles it produces.

Thank you all, for responding to the topic and hope we can keep it rolling on. I know that there are many more collectors among us, and with some very interesting collectibles, such as those you mentioned you have.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray

Cheesy as this sounds, I collect leather tools, Doodle pages and leather patterns. I got the bug about 30 years ago but have just recently started collecting patterns. Sure wish I had some of those Tandy patterns I threw away once I was done with the project. Ah well youth and insanity make such a good pair.

<p>what a really cool thread, ray. and a great idea.</p>

<p>it's really interesting to see what everyone collects on this forum. for myself, it's old watches. i love the manual wind watches. they are a mervel of manufacturing. another thing that really piques my interest (though i don't actually collect them - but i probably will start) is old blueprints - not really of architecture, but of manufactured items. electrical fixtures, machinery and stuff like that. i used to work at the crouse hinds factory in syracuse about 20 years ago. i worked in the whiteprint room. we would have to take old drawings and make microfiche from them. some of these drawings were from the late 1800's. they were drawn on linen - not paper. the sad part was: when an old part was obsoleted, the dawing was destroyed!! i should have grabbed a bunch of them. i used to search through the drawers and look at the old drawings. they were drawn with pen and ink. many of the names of the draftsmen were the fathers and grandfathers of the engineers currently working there!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>my cousin retired from the marines as a sgt. major a few years ago. one of his marine buddies collects....are you sitting down??.....urinal strainers. i think the most interesting part is....how does he acquire them??!!.....eeeeewwwwww.</p>

Edited by ramrod

my coudin retired from the marines as a sgt. major a few years ago. one of his marine buddies collects....are you sitting down??.....urinal strainers. i think the most interesting part is....how does he acquire them??!!.....eeeeewwwwww.

Well I bet he DOESN'T have much competition.

Edited by Elliot

LOL.....good one.

I also collect fountain pens, both vintage and modern. Most of my collection is modern, but I've started into more vintage pens. I'm going to start acquiring the tools to restore old Parker Vacumatics. I've already restored several vintage Esterbrooks.

Hey Ramrod,

I doubt if I could ever find anything to send the friend of your cousin that collects the strainers. lol.

I must admit, it is a definite first I have ever heard of these being collected by anyone. Probably someone out there that collects the urinals and toilet bowls as well. lol.

God Bless.

Ray