jdmracer12

Off The Bench..... Shoulder Holster For Cap And Ball

Hey ladies and gents just thought i'd show off this holster i just finished. let me tell ya this was a tough one to figure out. almost two months trying to figure out a design. finally caved and made one out of the al stohlman holster book with a few modifications. this one im especially proud of. So.... what do ya think?

would be easier to say if you included the pics ;)

Clean, well executed work!

Isn't there too much wiggle room for the gun to move around, so you can't be sure where exactly you'll find the grip of the weapon should it be necessary to get off your precious single shot?

(Hopefully you've loaded the big ir'n with a stack of Cents! ;) )

Joking aside, your post makes me think about trying the Stohlman rig myself.

Nice looking rig.

stitching and edging look good but only thing I'm not sure on is the 3 rivets holding the holster to the strap. Won't they wear on the gun and possibly loosen over time?

thanks for the comments. As far as the holster being to big, i had looked at hundreds of pics on Google and the majority of them had a lot of room at the opening. not really sure why, but i figured it had to do something with making room for the hammer. The leather is almost 16oz, which caused the screws to kind of countersink into it. the book recommended stitching, lacing or riveting the holster so i went with the easiest way (i know, im lazy, don't judge)

It's nicely done and finished.

Maybe I'm just an ignorant ol' Injun but it looks like the guns in the holster backwards to me.

When I make a fold over holster, the trigger generally goes on the side with the seam. Maybe it's made that way for hammer clearance?

Yeah i tried it with the seam at the bottom but because of the hammer i couldn't get it to come out like i wanted without exposing the nipple. most I've seen were for a belt or a bandoleer and that what i decided to go with. Had to be more of a pouch then something wet formed like a traditional holster. I had a hard time finding one to copy that i liked

Edited by jdmracer12

I wasn't expecting that pistola when you said cap n ball shoulder rig.

I like to see that face of a mugger when you push your coat to the side and pull out that "Pistola"....heheheee....

Haha jimbob, that would be a pretty funny sight to see. better have excellent aim though. The customer asked for a shoulder rig for his hunting pistol. so naturally, i said yes. then he shows me this gun. not what i expected at all. i will say that this was definitely one of the harder ones I've done, but also was the most fun. my wife actually told me that if she hadn't seen me making it, she'd would have sworn that i bought it lol