maxharley

Singer 307G2 Problem

a warm greeting to all members,

about a month, I read from time to time many items, discussions as a guest user,

But now I need your help,
My uncle has a Singer 307G2,
very old machine

the arm shaft belt is broken,
a catalog I found the code of the article
cod. 506726

I have written to many (at least 30) in England, France, Italy and some in America

no one knows how to do,
the replacement is not available

I have not yet seen the machines,
but I realized that the belt should be so:
collect_sew_sing306w4.jpg

you suggest a solution?

change the pulley, to mount a different belt?
how to find compatible? then the machine will be out of phase?
I am in your hands

soon, greetings

(I'm Italian, sorry for my english)

Well, it´s not too old, they were built in the 1950´s - 1960´s as far as I know.

I also have a 307G2 but mine fortunately is running like a dream but it´s true the belts are hard to find.

What I can tell you is that the timing belt / arm shaft belt has 32 clamps (teeth) and the distance between the center of the claps is ~1.5 cm and the dictsance between the clamps (edge to edge) is ~10mm, so the total length is ~48cm. Maybe you can find one from another machine.

Funny how this site pops up when I'm trying to find stuff as well...I'm currently on the hunt for this belt now as well, since we took one in on repair, also a Singer 307G2, cloth timing belt  part # 506726.

Some of our generic suppliers have this part part listed, but no one seems to have it...so far!

No timing belt, no machine.

On 2/28/2017 at 10:06 AM, Constabulary said:

Gregg, any chance that one of the belts for the 107G / 107W would work?

That was the 1st thing we thought to look for; if these were the same, part number would be the same.

SingerTimingBelts.jpg

I am looking at a used one now are there replacement belts available?

Bryn

I checked with one supplier & it shows it's discontinued.

Hi,

did anyone have any success finding a belt for a 307 G2 - either part No 506726 or some substitute?  custom belt manufacturer?  I would love to get my machine going again.

Hi 

I have a 307G2 that had a timing belt issue. My solution was to shorten a #224195 belt ( E Bay $13.36 AUD in 2019 ) by diagonal splicing, super gluing  (  Loctite Super Glue Power Flex, E Bay $ 11.35 AUD in 2019 ) and pining with dress makers pins. The #224195 belt is long enough to practice splicing with the off cuts, however I purchased 2 belts just in case I messed up with my first attempt. It was so easy to do that I now have a spare belt. Lots of information showing how to splice toothed belts on  Google.

Machine has been working perfectly since 2019 and belt splice still looks like the day it was done. Have a few photos of belt before and after splicing, all too many MB to include. Happy to e-mail  to any one interested.

@Thomo - sounds like a good solution. Can you please post some pictures of your spare belt and maybe give some detailed instruction how in particular you spliced the belt? Thats for sure interesting not only for 307G2 owners. There are for sure several vintage machines with  obsolete timing belts. :)

Edited by Constabulary

Hi Constabulary

I have posted photos of the 307G2 timing belt I shortened in the Shops, Tools & Machines Gallery. Didn't realize that was an option, I'm quite new to this sort of thing. 

Cutting belt to length ( 32  teeth ) I use piece of aluminum angle 1"* 1" as a guide ( see photo )to get the splice taper the same on each end.

The only tricky task was pushing the dress makers pins transversely through the belt teeth. As shown in the photos practice with the off cuts first. I placed the pin head on the narrow side of the join at each end.

Hope it works for you as well as it has for me, a very cost effective way to get the old machines going again.

Edited by Northmount
Added link to photos

Really an interesting solution - too bad I have no need for timing belts at the moment :lol: But I will keep that in mind!

Just come across this post, I own SINGER 307G2 never occurred to me that these belts may be obsolete,

I was wondering the belt is just cloth webbing which is easy size to find, whether the metal rectangular rings could be removed and placed on new material,

I have repaired a belt be for by cutting slanted ,  less stress placed across a distance rather than a straight cut and gluing together just to hold in place while micro drilled the holes vertically across, using brass rod as pins, then gently ping the ends to stop any moving out,just use a very small pin hammer with round ball o the end,