sdgengineer

Help Timing An Old Singer 42-5 Machine

I appologize I originally posted this in Sewing leather (a rookie mistake) I didn't see an easy way to move it.

Can anybody give me some guidance, see below:

I have an old singer 42-5 machine I have used lightly over the last 4 years. I tried to use it today, and it is horible out of time. I am comfortable with adjusting the timing, but I am not sure where to adjust it? I imagine all older singers adjust similarly, so If anybody has any insight please email me at sdgardner1954@sbcglobal.net\. This machine uses a long oscillating bobbin vice a rotating bobbin. I have a picture of the bottom of the machine, with a crude arrow showing the setscrew I believe I loosen and adjust, but I would like some guidance from any old hands out there.

Thanks

SDGengineer

post-198-0-80854300-1416861637_thumb.jpg

I think I see a pin going thru that hub and shaft that will not let it be changed even if you loosen the screw. Better look somewhere else.

Ok thanks...

I have not worked on a 42-5 but I assume it is the needle / hook timing that is a bit off - as most of the times.

Check if the tip of the hook meets the needle scarf approx. 1.6mm above the needle eye.

Also check if you have insert the needle correctly and if it is the correct needle at all. It takes 16x63 needles which are a bit shorter than 135x17 the Singer 111 type machines takes - if I remember correctly. If it is just the needle hook timing it can be done by adjusting (most likely lowering) the needle bar a little bit.

BTW - seems your machine needs some oil - it ook quite dry!

I use a 42-5 all the time. Excellent machines !! Yours definitely looks like it needs a proper oiling. I have never had to do a timing adjustment on mine, but I believe it is under the end cover on the needle bar area. Mine is set up for the commonly available 135 series needles. There are a lot of things that need oiling under that end cover if you have not yet discovered them. You need to remove the cover to get at them properly. Be sure the needle is properly seated in the needle bar, and facing the right way. The long groove goes to your left. There are lots of oiling points of these old machines. Be sure to oil the main shaft where it rotates, and the crank pin accessible through the removable round plate on the main casting. Tip the machine back, and move the wheel and oil any pivot points and sliding parts. You will need to leave a rag under the foot after you finish to catch any excess oil that drains from the parts under the end cover area after you finish. Be sure to use a proper sewing machine oil, or a light machine oil. Do NOT use WD-40, or any thing like "3 in one" oil or anything similar, as they are much too thin to do any good.

I did a little digging in some old manuals. I believe the timing adjustment for the 42-5 is nearly identical to the way it is done on the 16 class machines. Use this link : http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/16-133_CLASS_16.pdf Under "Instructions for Adjusters and Machinists", the illustration looks very similar to what you have on the 42-5, except that the 16 class machines use a different bobbin set up. There is a similar adjustment collar on the needle bar, and an access hole to reach the screw in the head casting as shown in the instructions. This will probably work for you.

All

Thanks for all the advice. I actually do oil the machine before I use it. I really am looking for some kind of maintenance instructions for this machine. I have been using it trouble free for the last five years, When I got it the first thing I did was find a place that works on industrial machines in Saint Louis. They may be out of business now. They sold me a quart of sewing machine oil. I have been using 135 series needles in it since I got it (they are 1mm shorter than the 16x63 needles SInger recommends.) The timing was fine last time I used it, and then I tried to use it yesterday and the needle was hitting the bobbin case, bent two needles, realized I had a serious problem.

Thanks Cascabel for the link...That is the best lead I have had yet! I will Check it out!

SDGengineer

Edited by sdgengineer

Here's another possibility about your issue. I'm going to attempt to explain it properly, so please bear with me !! A friend of mine has a 42-5 that had a similar problem with needles getting bent and striking the hook. Upon examination, I found that when the needle was inserted fully into the needle bar, that it actually was being pushed out of vertical alignment by the shape of the slot in the needle bar. For some unknown reason, the slot in his needle bar had a slope in it at the top, which acted like a ramp pushing the needle to one side when the needle was fully inserted. I have no idea if it was a replacement needle bar from a different machine, or why it was made that way. The simple fix was to just insert the needle until it started to push to one side, and tighten the screw. Normally, the needle is supposed to stop against a solid stop at he end of the slot, but his did not have a solid stop at the end. I thought at first his machine was out of time, until I looked closer. These old machines can have a few surprises from many different hands working on them over the years !! I hope this helps......

You can only adjust the needle bar and to do that the screw is on the right hand side and accessed through a hole in the casting. In theory the screw is dead center with the hole at the timing position but do not rely on that.

Fantastic machines but not many parts available. Bobbins are still in production but not sure if Hirose still make the hook (HSH-1-1N?) Feet can be made by modifying the Singer 16U feet still in production.