Hey there forum folks, been a while. Someone just asked me about making them a leather bit, and the construction should be simple enough, except that I'm not 100% sure what leather to use. I certainly don't want something that would be harmful to have in the mouth, but also want to be sure the leather will be able to handle the conditions of being in a mouth. Is vegetable tanned the best way to go? Is there a good strong leather that's tanned without any harmful chemicals at all that wont cost an arm and a leg to get hold of? If someone knows or could give some input, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Just curious why your customer wants a leather bit? Being that its so wet all the time I'm doubting that it would last long until you coated it with something like a fibreglass resin of some sort and how long that would last I'm not sure.

Would love to hear other input on this though.

I've seen this brought up before, and the only thing suggested as being chemically safe to put in their mouths has been rawhide (even then, not sure I'd do it). People have reacted to the tanning chemicals handling leather, never mind chewing on it.

I've covered bits in leather, made leather over check bits, and then I've made leather bits for starting and stall bitting. My only concern is the liability of the bit breaking (they get chewed up) I usually use a veg tanned skirting leather

@Round Brim Hat, they didn't specify why they wanted one, just that they had been considering doing it themselves but had no tools or experience. Most things i found on the internet say with maintenance they can last a long time, but without proper care it sounds like they last a few months. Though also through internet browsing, it sounded like the people who do use them like them as an alternative to rubber/nathe/etc when trying to avoid metal mouthpieces or going bitless altogether.

@awharness I'd be sure to let them know there's a chance it'll wear through fast depending on the variables. I was also thinking wrapping it with another lighter weight piece around the mouth portion might help delay major chew damage? Was also considering trying to line it where the rings would go, but not sure...

@AdamTill, yes. This is why I was hoping to find out if anyone knew where to get hold of more "cleanly" tanned, durable leather. Meroth leather bits boast being 100% chemical free, so I was rather hoping they didn't get all their leather custom tanned...

My wife is looking to ways of tanning our own hides. There are a lot of natural methods out there but to get veg tan could take a couple of months.

I've made a few leather bits for a horse trainer and her clients in our area. I used Hermann Oak skirting (13-15 oz). The piece was 3/4'' wide and 17 3/4'' long and folded so it was three layers thick. It was sewn and of course had rings in each end. Then was edged with a #4 edger. Apparently they last a lot longer than what we would think. As far as the chemicals in the leather, I have my doubts if that little amount would hurt the horse. I'm a saddle maker and handle it all the time every day and if it was that dangerous it would certainly get through your skin and do some damage. Anyway, hope this info helps you a little.

Thankyou! Tt does help, though I think id have to drop the weight for the layered sections a bit. Hands hurt just thinking about getting a needle through all that(no machine)!

Found some info, searching the web, as I often see leatherbit over here.

(loosly translated via translate.google)

Leather bit is made of vegetable tanned leather and is free of artificial additives. The bit molds to the horse's mouth and is soft and comfortable for the horse.
No edges or seams that bothers the horse's mouth.
Supre to all horses, especially for young horses during habituation, sensitive horses and who generally do not like usual bits. Very good on cold winter days.
Leather bits created and sewn by hand, adapted to each horse.
How to customize a leather bit?
Leather bits are made 1 cm greater than one normal, to provide space for the bit to get adapt the horse's mouth, so you do not add anything when you measure your horse. If your horse is 11.5 cm it is this measure that you send.
Once you get the bit, it shall be in an oil bath for about 15 min and hung to dry overnight. Furthermore maintained it by rinsing it well after each use and then to give it regular oil bath about every other week or so. The oil must be vegetable, such as. sunflower oil, coconut mm.
Crome tanned leather are never used, as most horses are likely to be allergic. This goes for all horse tack, no crome tanned.