Widget

Royalwood Waxed Linen Thread

Hey all,

Does anyone have any experience with Royalwood's Irish waxed linen thread? Looking for an alternative to the "Thread brand thread" from Tandy or Springfield, but would like something a bit more easily obtainable than Tiger.

Love to hear your thoughts, and Happy Thanksgiving.

I use it. Love it. I use it when I don't want to spend the $$ on Lin Cable.

I've never used Tiger thread and really don't have any reason to.

Edited by thefanninator

Thanks for the response. I usually do 6 stitches per inch. What ply would you recommend? I'm thinking 7 but not sure....

Depends on what look you like. I prefer a finer look so I use thinner threads. I have the 3 ply which they told me is about .77 mm. I think it's a good size for any general stitching. I've used it for 9 spi and I'll use it for 7 spi in the near future.

I use a lot of Royalwood waxed linen thread for various projects and I love it. Mostly use 2- or 3-ply. The 2-ply is pretty fine. 3-ply is a great general size (I usually go 7spi). Tandy has a new waxed thread (138) that's even finer than the 2-ply (for comparison). I've picked up a spool but haven't used it yet. I also use a lot of 0.6mm Tiger thread and am very pleased with that as well. Though it gives a different look in the end than the waxed linen thread.

Bumping this thread up. I was just looking at reordering one or two spools from Royalwood... does anyone else think $11.25 for shipping 1 or 2 spools is really high?

Yeah, I'm always annoyed by their shipping. I've definitely put off ordering from them because of the steep shipping costs.

Yeah, I'm always annoyed by their shipping. I've definitely put off ordering from them because of the steep shipping costs.

Yes, thank you! I emailed them about it. They probably won't respond. I found some on eBay but it's 4 ply and I use 3. I may try some anyway.

If anyone wants some we can do a group order and get the wholesale price and break up the shipping.

Edited by thefanninator

I need to re order a spool of 2 and 3 ply natural stuff in the coming week. Lemme know about group ordering.

Here is Royalwoods wholesale page minimum $100.00 order mix and match. Probably about the best price you will get from them. http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17aw.htm

How does this stuff compare to Lin Cable? What would the 3-ply equate to? 432?

I think the 3 ply is closer to 332. I have it and Lin Cable 432 and the Royalwood is slightly thicker.

I think the 3 ply is closer to 332. I have it and Lin Cable 432 and the Royalwood is slightly thicker.

Thanks. Would the 2 ply be equivalent to 432?

Thanks. Would the 2 ply be equivalent to 432?

That'd be my guess. I haven't used the 2 ply.