muzisch

Singer 45K89 Info And Help Wanted

Hi Muzisch, so back to hand stitching again, the truth is these old machines can take up a lot of time and money. if you dont know much about these machines and it is not up and running well for you then it could be a pain in the ass to get it working. Pushing the big pedal on a treadle for one of these machines has a zen thing going for it too :-)) anyway good luck with your work and if the owner changes his mind i would gladly pick up his machine for parts also, put me on the list LoL! regards, jimi.

Hello All,

I picked up this Singer 45K89 today, and it has that Ring-Foot, which I haven't seen on a Machine yet... Also, the walking/jump-Foot seems to be locked (maybe because of the Ringe-Attachment?)

Does anyone know what this thing is, and how I get the machine to work? Motor runs, she looks quite good in shape, I guess, it shouldn't be a huge thing to get her going?

Thank you in advance!

Singer_2.JPG

Singer_1.JPG

Singer.JPG

I would guess thats some sort of darning device for darning sacks or horse rugs and the like...

Edited by Constabulary

Hello, This machine had no darning attachment for it, so this is user made. i would take it off if you do not intend on using it. does the bar move where the foot screws on (black arrows)??

maybe the foot lever pitman rod screw is holding the bar  (red arrow). this is part nº 161d plate 2151 page 43 i think? that is if you have the parts list downloaded. there should be a cam on the inside of the front head cover that moves this bar? maybe the previous owner took it off?? did it come with feet? 

Singer.JPG.46b66d559fbe4dd8c7beb840d7befcf1.thumb.JPG.d33939a0361ddbd5f9b48850876f2d87.JPG

i don¨t know if this is any help or not to you, but there was a series of videos on a 45k89..

Edited by jimi

Ok, first of all, thanks a lot to you guys!!!

Yes, the foot was locked, and it came undone when I've loosened the screw you've mentioned Jimi...

Yes; I do have a coupole of different feet, and I am now at the point where the machine is running and stitching quite fine, but: I need to finetune the walking foot... Any suggestions (it doesn't say anything in the manual)?

Also; there's another thing: The foot isn't pressing all the way down; there's a gap of maybe 2mm under it when it's down. This makes sewing thin material impossible of course...

Thanks a lot again!

That adjustment was for the length of the foot i think so you will probably have to raise your feed dog a little or maybe lower your bar loosening the screw that holds it to the lifter. part nº 91591. this is how i adjust the height on my 45k21. you will have to take the front cover off to do this. and remember to put the check spring up when re installing the front cover.

DSC_0262.thumb.JPG.1f31e97d5cb900c4f2dda64994a4140e.JPG

Edited by jimi

OK; it was because of some old sticky oil... I cleaned everything, changed some stuff on the Motor etc and I have now a nice, slow running Singer! :-)
Thanks a lot you guys! It helped me a lot and it's much apprecciated!
Greetings from Switzerland... :-)
Andy