rickeyfro

Mounting Tippmannn Boss

Just scored a great deal on a Boss, mint condition, with every accessory in the tippmann catalog, all presser feet, material guide, table, bobbin winder, about a dozen spools of thread, etc for $1000 & 20 shipping, what Im hoping to get is some ideas from you guys that are more experienced as to the best way to mount it, Im thinking there has to be something other than just bolting it to a workbench, I was wondering if anyone had mounted it to something that was configured like a stitching horse. dont know Im just anxious to get stitching and hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks all, Rick

Rick,

Tippmann makes a bench much like a stitching horse to mount the Boss on. It looks too high to me. Keep reaching up and you will fatigue faster in your shoulder. I mounted mine on the end of a table at the left corner. That made it so the cylinder arm hung over and I could stitch deeper things easier. I got a low counter stool (higher than a chair/lower than a bar stool) to sit on. It made my stitching more comfortable reaching across rather than up. I could still get my legs under the corner and get closer too.

As far as the stroke, you will get a rhythm going eventually. The key is a full stroke forward and back. You don't need or want to slam it into the stops at the end of the stroke though. Another key is not to grab the handle too hard. I kind of kept my hand relaxed and pushed with my palm forward, and then "caught" the handle with my fingers and hooked it for the pull stroke. After enough time you will get that muscle memory and it will be second nature. I taught two wives and a son to run mine, they all got onto it pretty quick.

Rick, you don't have to buy a bench, there's other options out there. A while back, I noticed that someone (I forget who) from this site mounted it on an old Singer treadle bench. It was really neat the way it was set up. One day I was driving by a garage sale when I noticed an old table for sale. I bought the table for $5 bucks, I screwed a piece of plywood at the bottom, and added wheels. It probably cost me about $30 bucks total. Later I added a Tippman embosser on the opposite end, and a few months ago, I added my cutter. I use a standard plastic chair nothing fancy, and works great. I can move the table out of the way to clean up. Here's two pictures of it, I hope it helps, Daniel.

Tippman_1.jpg

Tippman_2.jpg

post-5249-1226330650_thumb.jpg

post-5249-1226330667_thumb.jpg

crock_sheath.jpgRick... I thought of a lot of different ways to mount my Boss, and i Honestly beleive this is the best way

I was lucky enough to get a singer pach machine stand and this is what i came up with.

post-1906-1226354827_thumb.jpg

Hey Luke, on my previous post I was referring to you treadle mount. Although mine is way different, I got the idea from you. Great set-up, Daniel.

I do most of my leather work in my living room (20 x 35) on a desk I built myself. The desk has a top that is 36 inches wide, 96 inches long and has a 48 x 36 piece of poly plastic in the center for a cutting board.

When I need to sew something, . . . I pull the Tippmann from under the desk, . . . along with the 4 inch "C" clamp, . . . clamp the dude on the table edge, . . . turn on my sewing light, . . . stitch until I quit, . . . unclamp it, . . . store it on the floor under the desk, . . . and go on with life.

While it is not the ideal setup for everyone, . . . my desk is also, . . . well, . . . my desk. I write, pay bills, study, sleep, and read there as well as make all my leather goods.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hey Luke, on my previous post I was referring to you treadle mount. Although mine is way different, I got the idea from you. Great set-up, Daniel.

nice set up one coner for each item.

I like to be able to get all around my machine when i am working on a piece - mounting it on a table doesn't allow that.

I have the Boss on one side of the machine stand and the Embosser on the other.

for your consideration...

I got so inspired so I just had to make me a new bench for my Boss. To save space in my shop I also mounted my Adler 30-1 on the same bench. I had an old cast iron sewing machine stand which I cleaned up and painted, and made a new table top out of pine boards. I also made a flatbed attachment of wood for the Boss but I have already found improvements to do. I use my stitching horse as a chair when using the Boss and Adler.

P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010058.JPG

post-5173-1226859393_thumb.jpg

post-5173-1226859420_thumb.jpg

post-5173-1226859454_thumb.jpg

I got so inspired so I just had to make me a new bench for my Boss. To save space in my shop I also mounted my Adler 30-1 on the same bench. I had an old cast iron sewing machine stand which I cleaned up and painted, and made a new table top out of pine boards. I also made a flatbed attachment of wood for the Boss but I have already found improvements to do. I use my stitching horse as a chair when using the Boss and Adler.

Saw the bobbin winder in one of these photos, was wondering if you made it or if it is available in the U. S.?

Thanks

vince

Rick I mounted my Tippman to a flat board about 3"'s larger than the base of the machine when I use it at the shop I c-clamp it to one of my other machine tables or the work bench or I can take it home and clamp it to the table and watch TV you bought it to be portable (I Think) so enjoy it that way. Keep it oiled and never force it and it will last a long time I loved my Tippman I just needed more speed.

Mike

Saw the bobbin winder in one of these photos, was wondering if you made it or if it is available in the U. S.?

Thanks

vince

I found this bobbin winder on a flea market. I don´t know if they are available in the U.S. ( I live in Sweden). It is a handy item!