naz

Beginner Working With Thicker Layers Of Leather And Inverse Pricking Iron

Same thing.

I've read in here hundreds of times that there's no ONE right way to do something and saying we're doing something "oddly" just because we're not using a tool the way YOU approve of isn't right.

Wow, I just said it was odd that's all, Odd over here means something is strange or unexpected nothing more. If you want to do it that way and it works thats your choice.

i think it´s really not a bad idea to try this method.

Personally i prefer punching the leather with the pricking iron all the way through.

when i just started leather crafting, i realized that if the leather if very thick or if you need to punch through several layers of leather, the holes will be really big if you punch all the way through instead of using awl.

so this method has come cross my mind, but i have never tried becuae i ddin´t know there´s inversed pricking iron existed.

but recently i found out that, Blanchard do sell inversed pricking iron.

i think this is short cut to achieve perfect stitch on both side of the leather, although i haven´t tried it myself, but theoretically it should work. but you need to make sure when punching from the other side, it´s perfectly mirrored so the holes will meet in the middle.

Of course, if you mark the hole with pricking iron on one side and then switch to an awl will achieve the same result, and i believe this is a more tradtional way of doing it., but i also believe it requires more practice. on the other hand, this is a better way to show off your craftsmanship.

thanks kidinsky, i usually like to follow the traditional craft and trying to work the leathers it w an awl now, excited to try about the portmentau though..

25b, I dont understand why the subject has to come to 'you' and 'us' as we are talking about different approaches here under different methods, I believe expressing an opinion about any technique should not be a cause to trouble

"Odd" has a negative connotation to it and I don't think there's any reason to belittle others' methods just because someone else doesn't feel like doing it the same way. I'm not call other people's ways "odd" for doing it their way. I don't think my method (which is also used by other people as stated here) should be called "odd" or any other adjective with a negative meaning to it.

I don't understand the need to put labels like that on the way some people choose to do things. If someone is compelled to do that in order to bring themselves up or reassure themselves that their way is "better" or something, then I truly feel sorry for that person.

Edited by 25b

well, sorry that you felt this way. I am sure your method is perfectly clear and clean for you and that's why you are going with it.

and hope this makes you feel better.

I had punched both sides before as to me it was a more clean' look then working with a diamond awl for the back stitches as I am still practising and my back straight stitches looked very messy but now more I practice I see that they are almost looking as perfect as the face side and it was 'odd' to use extra punching on the back when I can achive what I need w my awl and well I am enjoying the process of seeing how my stitches are getting better w time w only using awl, I also like the look of it more than punching both sides.

Naz have I guess you have seen Nigel's videos about saddle stitching he has one on stitch marking through several thick layers where you mark each layer of leather with the iron and then use the awl to pierce through.

The thing with stitch marking and then using the awl to go through is that it is quite a steep learning curve as each push through with the awl has to be at the same angle as all the other holes. It takes time but it is worth the effort to learn this way.

for some short videos on the subject try Saddlery courses on youtube

http://youtu.be/RuTn9czGkQ8

"Odd" has a negative connotation to it and I don't think there's any reason to belittle others' methods just because someone else doesn't feel like doing it the same way. I'm not call other people's ways "odd" for doing it their way. I don't think my method (which is also used by other people as stated here) should be called "odd" or any other adjective with a negative meaning to it.

I don't understand the need to put labels like that on the way some people choose to do things. If someone is compelled to do that in order to bring themselves up or reassure themselves that their way is "better" or something, then I truly feel sorry for that person.

You always sound angry/aggressive. Also, you are the only one going around trying to justify how/why you do something. I think "odd" just meant different from the traditional method. Pretty sure that's all he meant by it.

If it works for you great! Keep doing it. I pointed out why I didn't like this method in the other thread. But if it works for you and you are happy with the results keep on keeping on. Just stop the rage.