D1ave

Glasses Case My First Leather Work.

Hi all,

I've been reading and re-reading this forum for the past few weeks and it's a great source of information, so thanks all :)

I recently found myself in need of my first pair of glasses and couldn't find a case I liked so it got me thinking and eventually led me here. Which then led me to ebay for a few bits of suede and leather.

See what you think, my own feeling is that I might try again with slightly thinner leather and any advice on getting the suede to stick a little better would be appreciated as you can see it is rippling slightly after I stitched it.

gallery_55946_2431_1331613.jpg

gallery_55946_2431_1501436.jpg

gallery_55946_2431_104432.jpg

gallery_55946_2431_1902553.jpg

gallery_55946_2431_404319.jpg

Very nice, wish I could help with the suede but I'm pretty new to using lining.

Very nice, wish I could help with the suede but I'm pretty new to using lining.

I was also thinking of using neodymium magnets hidden beneath the suede by carving out a hole deep enough so they can be glued in place and be completely invisible as the come in really thin sizes 1mm thick, just a case of matching them up position wise on case and flap.

I suspect that you glued the liner on with both pieces lying flat ... That's probably why it is bunching up a bit when curved over. Try gluing up over something roundish, about the same diameter as the final position. I think that will help. I do like the magnet idea, but with that leather and the distressed look I really like the stud that you are using. Helps to give the whole piece the appearance of being 100 years old.

Bill

I suspect that you glued the liner on with both pieces lying flat ... That's probably why it is bunching up a bit when curved over. Try gluing up over something roundish, about the same diameter as the final position. I think that will help. I do like the magnet idea, but with that leather and the distressed look I really like the stud that you are using. Helps to give the whole piece the appearance of being 100 years old.

Bill

That's exactly what I did !!

I know what you mean about the look of the stud. I was thinking of making a modern version, with a grey/white nappa leather, with electric blue suede interior and stitching to match.

There are some books you will find helpful as you take your next steps into the wonderful world of leatherwork.

1) Al Stohlman's book on Hand Stitching

2) Al Stohlman's 3-volume set on making cases. (On sale at Tandy as of 12/1/14 for $12.99 each)

3) Valerie Michael's Leatherwork Handbook.

4) Al Stohlman's book on Leather Tools.

Also take a look at Bob Park's tutorial on finishing edges in the "How Do You Do That" section.

These resources will help guide you and improve your future work.

Meanwhile, Keep it up!

Michelle

D1ave ---------------------------

For someone who has only been lurking a short time, you are off to a good start !

I can see you.ve been bitten by the leather bug ? (not a bad thing, in fact good for you !)

Michelle is telling you right, get your leather library started now, you'll always be glad you did !

There are an untold amount of pleasureful hours ahead of you. Just hang in there, and keep on keeping on !

------------- Wild Bill46 ----------------------

There are some books you will find helpful as you take your next steps into the wonderful world of leatherwork.

1) Al Stohlman's book on Hand Stitching

2) Al Stohlman's 3-volume set on making cases. (On sale at Tandy as of 12/1/14 for $12.99 each)

3) Valerie Michael's Leatherwork Handbook.

4) Al Stohlman's book on Leather Tools.

Also take a look at Bob Park's tutorial on finishing edges in the "How Do You Do That" section.

These resources will help guide you and improve your future work.

Meanwhile, Keep it up!

Michelle

D1ave ---------------------------

For someone who has only been lurking a short time, you are off to a good start !

I can see you.ve been bitten by the leather bug ? (not a bad thing, in fact good for you !)

Michelle is telling you right, get your leather library started now, you'll always be glad you did !

There are an untold amount of pleasureful hours ahead of you. Just hang in there, and keep on keeping on !

------------- Wild Bill46 ----------------------

Thanks to you both for the great information, I've no tools as of yet other than a scalpel and a single hole punch a friend gave me.

Money is tight so when funds allow I will get some more, but for the foreseeable future I will have to stick with online research and seeing what I can make with whatever bits of leather and suede I can get cheaply on ebay as it seems the only place I can get small bits.

D1ave ----------------------------

Your completely welcome for the information given.

I might add : if you'll shop www.springfield leather.com its advertizwed above in the headings most of the time

They have remnants at affordable prices.

You might try the scrap boxes at most Tandy stores as well. If thats what you need ? -------------------- Wild Bill46

I've done this eyeglass case also. The only problem I have is that it looks and feels like the sides should be thicker. I believe I used a 2-3 oz leather when I should have used a 4-5 oz.

D1ave ----------------------------

Your completely welcome for the information given.

I might add : if you'll shop www.springfield leather.com its advertizwed above in the headings most of the time

They have remnants at affordable prices.

You might try the scrap boxes at most Tandy stores as well. If thats what you need ? -------------------- Wild Bill46

Thanks for the link, they are a good shop, though postage might be costly all the way over to me.

Unfortunately there are zero leather supply stores here, I would love to have a rummage in one :)

I've done this eyeglass case also. The only problem I have is that it looks and feels like the sides should be thicker. I believe I used a 2-3 oz leather when I should have used a 4-5 oz.

The one I made is very sturdy as the leather is 7-8oz and with the extra lining its quite stiff.

The next one I will use the same for the sides and 4-5oz for the body.

Thanks for the heads up, D1ave!

I just had a thought about what someone said about stitching. What I did is that I punched the holes on the sides of the case before I sewed it, got a round wooden dowel ( you can also use a piece of PVC pipe (about 1 1/2 in by 12 in)) and clipped the side and main pieces together, then sewed them together. It got easier once one side was sewed together.

As usual I ask myself, what would Nigel do?

Though not directly applicable, this might be useful to you.

Michelle