srtolly

Looking For Your Thoughts

I have only been doing leather work for a couple years in my spare time and recently decided to sell some of my work. This forum has been wonderful and the criticism given to others has been great. Most of my work has been for myself and family but since I started doing more on my YouTube channel with leather I have been getting a lot of requests and have a few good customers from it. I'm kind of fumbling with pricing now since custom work seems to have a broad range of prices so any help is appreciated.

A couple knife sheaths to start.

RfW0b3Y.jpg?2

yUjUDEZ.jpg?2

My first belt, used an extra long blank from Tandy and my first attempt at any kind of stamping for the basket weave. Lined with 4-5oz oil tanned and hand stitched. Buckle and keeper came from my old belt and I replaced the snaps with Chicago Screws.

WuYhr9D.jpg?2

My first possibles bag from 4-5oz Oil tanned.

k6TkGMV.jpg?2

Some gun holsters, this is what got me started. I couldn't find any holsters I liked so I made my own.

HiPoint JHP

QPiXvAN.jpg?2

Walther PPK IWB, I borrowed the gun from a friend to make this for someone then found out this PPK is very rare and worth 5 months salary.

lU9Mwsz.jpg?2

My personal daily carry for a 1911 Commander

YLi2vqH.jpg?2

Another personal holster for when I need to conceal better, Glock 27 IWB tuckable

jFb497k.jpg?2

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm still learning a lot and have been trying to find a mentor in southern Minnesota that can help me learn to do some carving. This forum has been a great inspiration and I will be making my first handbag for my daughter who picked up a few things at Tandy for me Saturday and found some leather she really liked.

God Bless, Scott

Your leather work looks really good to me. I think you are doing an excellent job. I'm sure some that are more experienced that I am will be able to give you some pointers. You knife sheaths really look nice.

Can't help you at all with pricing as I've no experience. But you work looks great, I would suggest you decide on a charge per hour for the time you work on each piece and then add cost of material to it.

The first knife sheath was for someone that bought a Haversack and another sheath from me and trusted me enough to send that custom Damascus knife to me for a sheath. I do a lot of bartering, I did a holster like the bottom one for a new camera to make my videos, the PPK holster was for some art work on my YouTube channel. I'll be making some stock to take to some craft shows this winter and see how things are received.

Srtolly,

Very nice work. thanks for posting. I do this as a "jobby" - a hobby that hopefully pays for itself. So far as pricing I have let the market help me work it out and find that I aim to cover leather, hardware, consumables and then just "make a little more" to help pay down the tool up costs over the last few years. As it is not my income I don't really try to figure hours into the equation but then I also don't guarantee any delivery time! I have been told that when I started I wasn't charging enough (even by happy customers!) so now I charge a little more - I am over the "lost leader" phase of my so called business development. What I don't worry about is someone saying "well I can get one cheaper on ebay" etc.... I say then go get it friend. I have found folks who know they are getting quality hand made and truly custom work are also the ones who know it isn't cheap. I also don't worry about loosing an order over cost. I cant keep up as it is. However, I also offer to talk about "value design" to help fit a budget. I enjoy the work less when I find myself 'worrying" about the money I am making. It isn't an income contributing business so I need to keep it in perspective as my "jobby"... make good stuff, make happy customers and have fun making it all is my aim now.

Your work looks top drawer!