blueblazer

Two Weeks In: Wallets, Card Cases, Horween

Just wanted to share what I've been up to in my first two weeks since finally getting some leather, watching a lot of videos on youtube and picking up some tools from japan, all thanks to this forum.

The brown is either Horween kudu or the brown oiled I got from nstarleather, the red is Horween Cherry Cavalier, which I believe is a chromexcel originally developed by Oak Street Bootmakers, or at least from what I remember from what I researched. Veg tan is herman oak I got from springfield. Thread is white bonded nylon t207 and brown bonded poly t277. Stitches are 4mm and 3mm pitch, which is something like 6 and 8.5 spi.

I'm still not happy with my edge work, glue overrun is proving hard to fully sand off. I'm pretty pleased with the saddlestitching I'm pulling off with just a spring clamp for a jerryrigged stitching pony. I really need to make myself a pony and get a slab of granite so I can really go at it with my stitching irons.

My life is in transition right now, and I'm trying to see if I can make this work full time, but the time I'm spending making these things is really great. I've been working in offices and resigned to just being satisfied doing the work with my hands that really captivates me as a hobby, but I think I'm going to make a serious go at trying to make leatherwork, work. I'm glad that this site exists and that there is such a vast wealth of knowledge and supportive community of likeminded people here.

post-56441-0-54992500-1417504818_thumb.j

post-56441-0-93473700-1417504819_thumb.j

post-56441-0-35567900-1417504821_thumb.j

post-56441-0-86743100-1417504838_thumb.j

Edited by blueblazer

Really nice :)

Best of luck with it, looks good to me.

Hope to do something similar myself in the future.

Looks good. Your stitching is nice and even.

Nice and clean.

Wow, pretty impressive for two weeks in! BTW, I got those same leathers from nstar, and I can't wait to use them. Good luck, you're off to a great start!

Looks good, nice stitch line.