ChiefStealth

New Forum Member From Wa. State Of

I am interested in making leather holsters for myself and friends. I've already found many good tutorials and tips. And, I have a Tandy store within reasonable driving distance. I'm gonna drop by tomorrow to look at tools. I'm usually on the frugal side, so I won't be buying tools for big money when I can DIY something that will work just as well. 'Sides, I'm not gonna spend a bunch for what might turn out to be only two projects. I'm looking forward to reading more stuff on this forum, and seeing pictures of all the wonderful stuff people have made.

ChiefStealth, welcome to the forums. We will be looking forward to seeing your first project.

Welcome aboard. Luckilly you are close enough to Seattle that you have a pretty decent selection between Tandy & MacPherson. Additionally there is the PSLAC guild up there you could look into.

Horn

So, I visited the local Tandy store, today. I kinda expected to find a general craft store that just happened to have a few Tandy things off in one corner. Nope! This is a full-boat Tandy store. Just about everything Tandy shows on their web site is available in this store. And, since its getting into holiday season, the place is well stocked. Now, to start my Sanni Klahz list.

ChiefStealth are you going to the Tacome store?

ChiefStealth are you going to the Tacome store?

Yes. I think of it more as Parkland, but the store address is Tacoma. And, its the only store listed as being Tacoma, so it must be "the" Tacoma store. I was quite impressed with the selection of stuff in the store. And, the place had a half dozen customers while I was there. Good business! I enjoyed walking around and checking out all of the stacks and rolls of material. I gotta text my grandkids and tell 'em where their inheritance will be going. :head_hurts_kr:

While your at it you can tell them where you want a gift certificate for. :)

Edited by camano ridge

Welcome to the forum, I used to live in Puyallup... Beautiful country there...

Welcome to the best site on the internet! As you develop your new addiction hobby, let us know if we can help

Welcome to the forum, I used to live in Puyallup... Beautiful country there...

Thanks for the welcome. I work in Puyallup... south hill.

Hey,

If you find yourself in the North Seattle area, there is also a Tandy Store up near shoreline on Aurora around 147th or so. Seems pretty well stocked as well.

One of these days I'll get off my lazy ass and drive North 20 minutes and check out Quil Ceda Leather and let you all know what I find there...it's up by the Tulalips...

The Shoreline store just expanded about 6 months ago so they have more room for more stock. The manager Andy is knowlagble and helpful. He is a long time leather worker and has managed stores in several states. Quilceda Leather is worth the trip if your going to the are for other purposes. It is a good place for furs and suede. They have small pieces of veg tan or will order sides for you. There conchos and so on are primarily Tandy they buy at the wholsale price. I shop there when I don't want to drive all the way in to Shoreline. THere web site has a virtual tour of their retail shop. In the back room they have a large selection of Deer hides and Suedes. They also have rwhide and supplies for making Native American drums.

Edited by camano ridge

Hey welcome.... I will be at the Puyallup gun show in Jan with my leather and holsters, stop by and visit

Hi Chief Stealth ____________

I m on the other corner of our USA, Im a Ca, transplant to Georgia,

Loving all the recreation here, Welcome to the best forum on the planet ! Wild Bill46

Had a wonderful Christmas. Word must have gotten out to the family that I was interested in doing some leather work. Lots of tools and a big chunk of nice 6-7oz tooling leather showed up under the tree. I'll be doing my first project, this weekend. :)

ChiefStealth,

Welcome to the forum, great site, lots of helpful people, excellent crafts people who have no problem sharing their knowledge. We have a couple of chief's already on the site so you should fit right in.

Chief

Very nice, that should get you off to a good start.

Got a little practice with the new tools. Cut a few scraps with box cutter, smoothed edges with Dremel, beveled, grooved along edge, used over-stitch wheel, awled some holes, saddle stitched, burnished edges. The only surprise was the burnishing. Used some gum trag on one part of an edge.. water on the other part. Both came out smooth and shiny. Did the same on the back side surface of a scrap. I really can't detect any difference. So, just what does gun trag do? More practice, today. Will start on a knife pouch.

Chief Stealth --------

My understanding is both will become smooth when properly slicking.

The water although smooth, will dry out, and let the plys come apart over time,

Gum Trag will stay where its put. much, much longer.

It also needs some sort of conditioner/sealer. such as bees, or parafin wax, saddle soap,

snow cream, glycerine, Aussie cream, etc.

I've tried several combinations and have yet to decide which I most prefer.

Be your own judge, try your own concoctions ?

Anybody agree or disagree ? ---------- Wild Bill46

Welcome. I grew up in Graham, but I'm on the East side of the state now. Check into PSLAC.

Welcome aboard. Luckilly you are close enough to Seattle that you have a pretty decent selection between Tandy & MacPherson. Additionally there is the PSLAC guild up there you could look into.

Horn

www.pslac.org

Welcome Chiefstealth.

Try a product named, "Quik-Slik", sold by Sheridan Leather. Superb product and amazing results when burnishing.

Best wishes for a fantastic New year and God Bless.

Ray

I've just about finished my first project. A belt pouch for a folding knife. I'll do a write-up in the holster & knife sheathes section. I've also started my second project. A holster for my new pistol.

Chief Stealth, there is also a leatherworking club there in Seattle. They publish the Rawhide Gazette. They host seminars with folks such as Peter Main and Chan Geer. Lots of good knowledge there. You might try them.