Coho

Customer Asking For A Piece Without Makers Stamp (On The Back)

Seems odd, I made a holster for a guy that he loves, he wants 2 more with belts - BUT, he has asked me not to put my logo (as seen in my sig line) on the back of the holsters like I do with ALL my holsters. Out of sight, but so people know I made it.

Seems odd. part of me almost wants to just say I won't take the order.

Opinions ? Anyone else had this happen before ?

Seems odd, I made a holster for a guy. He loves the holster and now he wants 2 more with matching belts - BUT, he has asked me not to put my logo (as seen in my sig line) on the back of the holsters like I do with ALL my holsters. Out of sight, but so people know I made it.

Logo is 1" x 1" and out of the way by the belt loop on the back of the holster.

Seems odd. part of me almost wants to just say I won't take the order.

Opinions ? Anyone else had this happen before where a customer has asked for no makers stamp? I even wonder if - waaaaay offhand- he might just stamp it himself and try to resell as his own. not likely - but its a thought. its my handmade stuff and I don't like the thought.

Edited by Coho

I had a retailer wanting me to provide unfinished Instrument straps with no maker's mark. I turned down the deal because they had told me they love to do leather work, so I think they were going to tool them up and sell them as their own. I passed. I haven't had any customer's who are buying for personal use object to the mark. I don't put it on everything. I usually don't put one on wallets because it detracts from the looks of the wallet. I always put it on holsters, belts, rifle slings, Guitar, Bass, Dobro, Banjo and Mandolin straps.

Chief

I've never had a customer ask for no makers mark. My mark is just a small American Indian pictograph of a bear paw. I advertise my stuff as American made by a Native American. People have told me to make certain my mark's on the products I've made for them.

It seems to me like you should have been asking the customer this question, and depending on his answer and his reaction ( hem-hawing, shifty eyes, or other cues) - and going from there! Unless you know yourself to be a naive, "babe in the woods" type of individual, you can probably trust your gut feeling on this !

Good idea, 25B. I still don't have a proper maker's mark....

Actually yes I have been asked to do that by a customer who is friends with a guy who does some hobby work. My customer wanted my stuff but didn't want to piss off the hobby guy. He comes to me on the sly. Lmao. In your case, however, I also would suspect that the client might want to stamp the items as his work. I'm not sure I'd take the job.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

How much are you charging?

Id sell the items to him, he probably can't make a profit/hurt your business or he just doesn't like logos on his goods. At any time you can stop selling to him because if he buys 4 or 5 its more suspicious.

Overtime if he gets a lot of sales you can still make a profit being his supplier of finished goods and he would tool the belt. I believe it is common for this type of relationship although the other person would not be secretive usually.

Edited by DavidL

I think it depends on the circumstance. If I felt everything was on the up and up I would gladly leave off my mark for people.

There's some things I don't stamp, but for the majority of things...if I make it, it gets my stamp. The few places where I've sold my products (and one more than most) have all been happy to have my stamp on the items. Even if you don't put your maker's mark on it, I'd do something sneaky like write your name between the layers of the holsters. And get a signed waiver that releases you of any liability. If he doesn't want your mark on them, then he doesn't get ANY warranty on the goods, and they are non-returnable. And what the heck, since it's just as likely that YOUR holsters might get used as patterns for some other maker.....add a surcharge.

My feeling is it is your work you have a right to sign it and claim it as your work just like any other artist. I know some people don't like the makers mark on the front where it is plainly visible. Ask yourself why would anyone have a problem with the mark on the back where it won't be seen by anyone unless they are handling the holster. I would just tell him I will be happy to make the holsters for you however nothing leaves my shop without my mark, I will but it in the least conspicuous place possible. See what his response to that is. He will either agree, say no deal or be insistent that it not have the mark. If he insisted strongly that it not have a makers mark I would be very suspiscious and probably walk away.

I too would most likely not take the job as it seems (and feels) like this customer is looking to possibly resell these holsters under their name and that would be much easier to do without your mark on them. If you are selling your items for less than they are worth (and well below what the average for this same type of item is from other sources, research this and find out) then they can mark them up to what the average is, maybe higher, and make a profit on your hard work.

I never entertain a request for an item without my mark and I never do wholesale work because the end retailer is out to make money on THEIR items even though I made them; I have seen others put their works out at wholesale only to find the end retailer "brand" the items with their name. This is not fair to the actual maker (even though they made the mistake of entering into that agreement) and it is false advertising when you make the consumer think that you did the work when the credit belongs to someone else.

Doing piece work for another manufacturer is a common thing, but I'd have serious issues with someone wanting a finished product unbranded.

Use your stamp, sign your work! Something's up when they don't want a signature on the work! Tell that customer that ALL work gets marked, even at Walmarts you find tags!

It's insulting and I hate when people ask me to leave my maker's mark off. I tell them I don't sell items I make without my mark.

He may be onselling your work as his own with his stamp!.

Don't confuse ego with customer service. Maybe he wants to give them as gifts and doesn't want the customer to contact you for pricing information. Maybe he wants to say he made them? Who cares...the customer is paying your price and it doesn't cost extra to leave the stamp off.

Get over it.

Cya!

Bob

Ha! Cause John Bianchi is so short on ego. If you want to be a renowned holster maker put your mark on it. If you're okay just making a few bucks an toiling away in the shadows leave it off.

I'd want to know why he wants you to leave it off. I can't think of any reason that someone would want you to specifically make an unmarked holster that is your best interests.

Ha! Cause John Bianchi is so short on ego. If you want to be a renowned holster maker put your mark on it. If you're okay just making a few bucks an toiling away in the shadows leave it off.

Neither you nor Mr. Coho are John Bianchi. I get paid handsomely for the work I do whether my mark is on my products or not. If you are, in fact, "toiling away" without sufficient compensation and you think that part of that insufficient compensation is having your makers stamp on the back of a holster, then suit yourself.

By all means ask the customer why or even charge a bit more to "delete" the stamp but don't confuse commerce with ego, unless this is just a hobby business, then business decisions and customer satisfaction are incidental to basking in the limelight!

Cya!

Bob.

Don't confuse making a few bucks today with building a brand. Think of it this way. Selling your items without your mark is like working for a salary. Selling your work with your mark is like working for a salary plus stock options. Have enough ego to believe in yourself. If you don't believe in yourself, no one else will.

Don't confuse ego with customer service. .... Who cares...the customer is paying your price and it doesn't cost extra to leave the stamp off.

Get over it.

Cya!

Bob

There ya go. I don't even HAVE a "maker mark". Leave that to smaller men :)

But, I think I "believe in myself". In fact, someone wants to re-sell my work, makes no difference to me. When the customer wants another one, let's see them duplicate it.

Having a "brand" is for marketing people... not necessarily leather people. Lemme see.. some "brands" that made REAL money...

Pet rocks

Chia Pets

Spongebob

Enough, or we need more? Seriously, I've seen people (not just a few) who couldn't tool a piece of leather if you had a gun to their head. They can't (or won't - who knows) paint to save their life. But they have a 'maker mark" and a facebook page to tell you all about how talented they are.... long as they're telling the story it prolly works out fine.

Edited by JLSleather

JSL, this thread is about making products for sale. The fact that Coho is getting repeat orders means he's making the right products at the right price. It doesn't mean squat if he can or can't tool. Nor does it mean squat whether you do or do not have a makers mark. You are imply your work is so good that you don't need one. That's wonderful;l but beyond the scope of this discussion.

We are discussing makers marks and their use in marketing ones products. Since that's beyond you and you are so far above those of us who need and use makers marks, I don't see why you even bothered to comment on this thread since your comments are essentially irrelevant.

Best get back to your swivel knife... :cowboy:

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

Bob,

Is white label production part of your business model?

JSL, this thread is about making products for sale. The fact that Coho is getting repeat orders means he's making the right products at the right price. It doesn't mean squat if he can or can't tool. Nor does it mean squat whether you do or do not have a makers mark. You are imply your work is so good that you don't need one. That's wonderful;l but beyond the scope of this discussion.

We are discussing makers marks and their use in marketing ones products. Since that's beyond you and you are so far above those of us who need and use makers marks, I don't see why you even bothered to comment on this thread since your comments are essentially irrelevant.

Best get back to your swivel knife... :cowboy:

Cya!

Bob