Customer wanted leather with marks and imperfections. She found the perfect spot on one of my hides. She also requested the Tolkien quote and since she wanted it on one line I did it on bronze with a little sloppy lettering to go with the imperfect hide. It's hard to see with the glare of all my lights on my bench but the letters are all clear and blackened. I'm hoping this bronze will patina nicely.

PasportCase01

I like it. Nice color.

Really awesome! I love that plate with the lettering. What a great idea. How exactly did you do that if you don't mind me asking?

Really awesome! I love that plate with the lettering. What a great idea. How exactly did you do that if you don't mind me asking?

I got some steel lettering stamps from Harbor Freight and a 5x8 bronze sheet from Hobby Lobby (conveniently located across the street from each other). I hammered in the letters on a piece of steep plate with a sheet of paper between to give the letters some depth. Then I colored over a few times with a black Sharpie until the insides of the letters were soaked. After it dried I used some 800 grit sandpaper to remove all the black that wasn't in the letters. After sanding I used the little ball end of my chasing hammer to ding up both sides to make it look, well, hammered.

And thanks for the compliments. This shows that even really messed up and scarred leather can still be exactly what the customer wants. I didn't think this piece would ever be used.