DS STRAPS

Made My Own Skiver/paring Knife

So I thought I would attempt to make a skiver/paring knife since I was board at work on a Sunday.

It is 1/16" thick stainless, I think it may be a little to thick and may have to be machined down thinner. The shape was taken from a couple Japanese utility knives I have seen online. Thoughts, suggestions?

20141207_084919_zpslbbhalsn.jpg

Looks OK to me. 1/16th is OK but you might find after you've been using it that you want to grind back the bevel a bit more; ie make the angle of the cutting edge a bit more acute

I assume you will be fitting a handle?

A browse through catalogues and websites shows that there are quite a few different styles of skiving knife; if it works for you, that's all you need; just learn to use it

Make a simple sheath or blade protector for it; both to protect the cutting edge from damage, and to prevent other things from the blade

Edited by zuludog

Very nice.. Whats sort of angle should be put on the blade? Is it particular o the type of cutting tool or pretty standard.

I need a leather knife and was thinkig of also being bored at work ;)

Cheers

Alex

1/16" is plenty thin enough. As Zuludog mentioned you can grind your bevel back if you want a feathered edge, and I think you'll be happy if you do.

What kind of stainless? I suspect your plan is to wedge the back in a handle similar to the japanese models I've seen? I would opt for pinning the handle on to ensure zero movement, but if you already have it hardened you would need to use a carbide drill bit.

1/16" is plenty thin enough. As Zuludog mentioned you can grind your bevel back if you want a feathered edge, and I think you'll be happy if you do.

What kind of stainless? I suspect your plan is to wedge the back in a handle similar to the japanese models I've seen? I would opt for pinning the handle on to ensure zero movement, but if you already have it hardened you would need to use a carbide drill bit.

Is there a easy way to harden without having a fire pit?

Not really sure where to go on that one. In short, no.

I think you've all seen me post this website recently, but here it is again. Go to their forums

http://www.britishblades.com