rottik9

Doing Letters

How can I keep the inside of stamped letters from being dyed...I know I can do it with a brush around the letter. I am wondering if there is a tip that will help.

post-44098-0-40118500-1418171605_thumb.j

If you're only trying to keep the impressions (the outline of the letters) uncolored, then 'block dyeing' would be the way to go. If you're trying to keep the entire inside free of dye...then it's brush time. I also recommend putting liquid latex (aka masking fluid) in the areas you don't want dye.

If you have an airbrush put masking tape down where you are going to stamp then stamp your letters. The stamp will cut through the tape and you can peel the masking tape away. You can either peel the masking tape of the letters or vise versa. Then use your airbrush to color then remove the remaining masking tape

I would sure like to know more about this Liquid Latex as I have problems with letters as well.

Liquid latex can usually be found in art stores where watercolors are sold. I would definitely experiment on a scrap piece of leather from the hide you're using first, because it's VERY liquid when it first goes on. You apply it with a brush, let it dry, paint another layer or two over it and let those dry, then paint/dye/spray as usual, wait for it to dry a bit then peel off the latex usually lifting up an edge with a sharp blade. Using that stuff is how I made these bowls:post-11723-0-44772600-1418223795_thumb.j

Grey -----------------------

Those bowls look super, job well done ------------- Wild Bill46

Thanks! If I remember right, the patterns were from a celtic shield boss. Made those when I took ceramics in college.

Grey

Thanks for the knowledge, I will definitely give it a try.

If you have an airbrush put masking tape down where you are going to stamp then stamp your letters. The stamp will cut through the tape and you can peel the masking tape away. You can either peel the masking tape of the letters or vise versa. Then use your airbrush to color then remove the remaining masking tape

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That's one great idea Potter. I will try it tonight. Are there any tricks to this? Will this only work with an airbrush or will it bleed if I block dye?

Will the cased leather cause any issues with the tape?

I thought about dying my leather a base color then using your idea, then peel away the tape then air brush.

Thanks

Tony

Tony

It will only work with an air brush there is also some company's that sell aerosol spray dye that works with this application. As long as the leather is dry when you apply the tape you shouldn't have any issues.

Mark

I work with thin leather (3-5 oz) for the small items I am making. If the leather isn't cased will the stamp not work as well?

I have an airbrush, haven't used it much but to experiment.

Thanks

Tony

Leather needs to be cased before stamping. Otherwise you will need a press to be able to stamp it and have the impression stay.

I also find that if the leather is very slightly damp, I don't get as much bleed when dying with a brush. Sharper lines.

Tom

I found that out, and the tape didn't stick. The tape I used was OLD 1/2" masking, I'll try some blue painters tomorrow or suggestions?

You might also try frisket film from an art supply store. It is meant to be used as a painting mask, and I have used it on a few leather items for airbrushing acrylics. I found for me that the light tack film did not stick well enough to my leather, and that medium tack worked fine but left a little adhesive residue that had to be cleaned off. I have also only used it with acrylic paints rather than dyes, but if you are airbrushing with dye, the result should be similar.

The following guitar strap was done this way for the white line, pyramid and rainbow sections. It's not quite perfect, but it was my first try at this sort of thing. The name and surround were done with Grafix white mask liquid frisket .. AKA liquid latex.

Front part of guitar strap

Guitar strap

Interesting Billy I'll look into this.

Why not use the tip of the brush to brush some leather coat first? Then when you dye the belt, it won't be dyed.

OK Mark, I'll try that.

Thanks