Jim

Making Belts, The Easy Way

That was made for the World Famous Hurricane. Her and her husband are very good friends of mine.

Jim

I'm an old fan of the Lone Ranger, Tonto, Silver, and Scout, . . . and I just saw a left handed, female Kemosabe in the picture.

I'm sure all the guys who played the Lone Ranger wish they had shooting skills like hers.

That's all a really good looking bunch of leather work.

May God bless,

Dwight

I like the shotgun shell "waistalier". Looks a lot more efficient than the over the shoulder bandolier.

I am really into the one of a kind stuff. Don't like doing the same old stuff all the time, but those are ones that pay the bills, so to speak.

I do have a question though... What is the purpose/reasoning for both guns facing the left hand?

Thanks, Jim :)

I do have a question though... What is the purpose/reasoning for both guns facing the left hand?

The movies really perpetuated the "Two gun" shooter thing where gun fighters hold a gun in each hand and shoot at the same time. Most pistol fighters shot with one hand, and when that pistol was empty grabbed another. Cross draw holsters were more popular in the old west than TV/Movies let on, and the common man was more likely to have a pistol tucked in his pants than in a holster.

Edited by Colt W Knight

I would like to add that most SASS shooters use the Strong Side and a Cross Draw holster. Only slow pokes like me shoot two fisted.

As Colt pointed out, the cross draw was preferred for carrying a pistol while mounted on horseback. If you look at any example of1800 Military Holsters, they were made to the cross draw configuration.

The typical Cowboy Holster of the time was not quit as refined as the modern holster as they were deep set and had a wider loop which allowed the holster to be set as a cross draw while on horse back. Also, holsters of the time did not have the Hammer Thong. This addition came along late in the twentieth century as a safety measure to keep Hop-a-long and the gang from dropping their pistols out of them fancy low slung holsters they wore while ridding after the outlaws.

Jim

Thanks Jim !

Thanks!!!

Thanks dude I'm a nooby and holy crap you just saved me some $$$.

Thanks dude I'm a nooby and holy crap you just saved me some $$$.

That's the whole idea pardner. Wasted time and resources are two things I despise.

Jim

Thanks for this Jim, wish I had had it when I made a belt for a guy. I fell into the same trap as Dwight. Guy said he wore a 36 pants so I made it for about a 38" waist and even with the extra holes, was still too short. Thankfully it was just a plain black belt with no name or customization but was still a pain to have to make a second belt for him.

... in rocket science that I didn't want or need. So, I did what most folks do and measured out my old belt. That worked...

So, if that worked measuring YOUR belt, wouldn't a guy just measure HIS belt?

Sure it would . . . if he had given me one.

Thank you for the pattern and chart Jim. I'm making a variety of dog collars for a local pet store and I confuse myself with the different lengths and hole placement. I have made patterns by width, but doesn't always work like I want. I need to make a chart like you did and get my work more uniform. Thank you again, this is much appreciated.

I noticed you said you have some "how to" information regarding Ranger style belts. These are my very favorite style, don't know why but I love them. Do you have any templates for these style belts that you would be willing to post for printing? Also, are they measured the same as other belts or do they require a different way of measuring? Yes, I am new, but I have caught the bug in a big way and want to learn as much as I can as quick as I can. I am a dry sponge ready to be saturated so fill me up.

Great stuff thank you!! :thankyou:

This is gold for me. I know the process of making a belt, I just needed strong guidance with the whole "measurement" thing.

Yeah, that measurement thing is what will bite you in the butt every time. It bit me enough.

Thanks Jim. Your belt making tutorial is the cat's meow. I've tried using the customer's belt to get the proper measurement, thinking that it would be right on. But between stretch in the old belt, and the curve that that it forms after a lot of use, I had a heck of a time getting it right. Finally started using a tape measure, which was a little better. But some of them had a tendency to suck in their gut when the tape went around their waist. Using your belt sizer I can let them cinch it up, then make some small talk with them until they finally have to let their breath out so I can get the right size. :-)

Thanks for sharing,

Fred

Sucking in our gut is a curse all men are born with. Until you get over 50. Then it's just too much trouble.

You're welcome, sir.

Jim

Thank you Jim, I made a belt from 24" to 70" If they are larger then that, they won't need a belt.

Jim

Thank you so much man, I want to make my first belt and this is very helpful.