Jim

Making Belts, The Easy Way

Thank you very much for this......a great go to when there is a question!

Just wanted to add my thanks. I've downloaded your chart, and it should make my life a little easier.

Just ran across this thread and wanted to add my thanks. This chart is a great tool.

rick

Here is a pic of the last Belt I made for my husband was hand cut from Bark Tanned saddlers Leather hand stitched used a solid brass swedge buckle like I do for my custom bridles, Made this one a few years ago I'm old school 3rd generation saddler and all our hard ware is hand stitched in my father would come back and haunt me if I ever used a rivet I even hand stitch the buckles on our dog collars. but they last and saddle leather lasts, I've got a dog leash I made nearly thirty years ago it's still going strong it's now being used by our Third rescue pooch, so Hi From Australia guys, enjoying looking at all the amazing work you are all making brilliant.

post-69856-0-50365900-1458483708_thumb.j

Jim,

Thanks so much for the very handy chart. I'm pretty new still, and have made about a dozen belts, and have fumbled with a couple of the measurements you included. At times I've cut both ends (from the last hole to the tip and from the buckle slot to the end) a little short. Your chart clears this up for me. I really appreciate it.

Bob

55 minutes ago, Petro49er said:

This might be a dumb question, but why don't I see anything to download?

Thanks,

Brian

They are doing changes on the webpage and all the links and pictures on every post are not working, maybe when they finish with all the changes.

1 hour ago, Petro49er said:

This might be a dumb question, but why don't I see anything to download?

Thanks,

Brian

7 minutes ago, alfher said:

They are doing changes on the webpage and all the links and pictures on every post are not working, maybe when they finish with all the changes.

I can send you over the file! I think Jim will have no problem with this. That was his intention from the first place. Sharing!

Sorry for being stupid, but where is the file?

3 hours ago, Mujician said:

Sorry for being stupid, but where is the file?

You are not the only one seeing this problem as you can tell from recent posts.  With the recent site upgrade, attachments have become detached.  Johanna is working on reattaching all files.  PM Anvas (above) and he may be able to send you the file.

Tom

Thank you Jim! I will keep this information when I do make a belt, hopefully in the near future.

you did a great job on this, jim. thank you for the hard work. it saves the rest of us a lot of time and trouble. i won't tell you the number of belts i've made that were way too small.

Edited by ramrod
spelling

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!  I have had such a hard time with belts.  This information will help me greatly and is much appreciated :)

Thank you, Jim. Just found this and it will be a big help.

Where can I get this PDF for belts?  I don't see it.. :(

1 hour ago, BJP said:

Where can I get this PDF for belts?  I don't see it.. :(

Go to the first post on this subject where Jim so kindly posted this help for all of us. Click on the highlighted link Dress Belts.jpg and it will download. Thank you again Jim.

Thanks Jim!    Found it and downloaded the pdf.     This will come in so handy for my belts and dog collars.   

( I just didn't look far enough back in the posts...)

Edited by BJP

On December 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Jim said:

Back when I was younger and had all my hair, I decided I wanted to make my own belt rather than settling for what I could get from the store. So, I asked some advice from one of them "experts." I says, "How long do I make it?" He says "Add four inches."

"Mmm-kay. Add four inches to what" At which point I got a crash course in rocket science that I didn't want or need. So, I did what most folks do and measured out my old belt. That worked.

But then a feller asked me to make him one. Mmm-kay. Now I'm in trouble.

Moral of the story is I got tired of the hit and miss, the re-do's, and utterance of profane syllables. So, I created the little tutorial posted here and want to share it all you fellow leather workers for your enjoyment. This is the end result of a lot of hard work, so use it well.

It is formatted on letter size sheets so you can print at home.

Folks, I discovered that I posted a faulty Size Chart with this. I have replaced it with a correct set so please re-download and forgive my oversight.

Enjoy,

Jim

Dress Belts.pdf

Thanks Jim!

This will come in handy for me tooling my very first belt!

Cheers,

Steve