Jim

Making Belts, The Easy Way

On April 10, 2015 at 0:25 PM, Halitech said:

Thanks for this Jim, wish I had had it when I made a belt for a guy. I fell into the same trap as Dwight. Guy said he wore a 36 pants so I made it for about a 38" waist and even with the extra holes, was still too short. Thankfully it was just a plain black belt with no name or customization but was still a pain to have to make a second belt for him.

Hey, my pants and belt stretch. My first 34" (based on waist measurement at the time) Carhart belt has lasted and been around nearly 20 years. The belt has stretched about 3", and I've dropped a few inches, so it's a little long nowadays...

Jim, thank you for taking the time to put this together and for sharing it.  I really appreciate you letting me, a nooby, in on your trade secrets.

Thanks for the information I am new leather worker and screwed up some leather

I am not even new to belt-making, and this still had some useful tips, so thank you kindly for sharing it. :) Re: the issue of expecting customers to provide proper sizing -- I haven't had a problem with it since I started saying in the listings, "Be accurate, not optimistic; there is a $[whatever] resizing fee if the item needs to be replaced."

Thank you, this helps a lot now that I find myself wanting to make more belts. Great work on the pdf. :rockon:

Thank you!!!

On 4/3/2017 at 12:31 PM, timneo said:

I fancied laser cutting these, so got these templates knocked up.  Hope they help others.

Belt Illustrator Files.rar

PDF (1).zip

I DL'd the PDF, but the adjustment holes are not center on the template . just letting you know . thanks

Thanks Jim......... Great info here!!

I followed your instructions on three different belts and they all were too short. What did I do wrong?

5 hours ago, PappysLeather said:

I followed your instructions on three different belts and they all were too short. What did I do wrong?

Short by how much?  

19 hours ago, PappysLeather said:

Did you use an existing belt to get the length to the centre hole measured from the tang tip for the buckle? 

Tom

4 hours ago, Northmount said:

Did you use an existing belt to get the length to the centre hole measured from the tang tip for the buckle? 

Tom

The THICKNESS of the old belt and the new belt MATTERS.  One day I really MUST make a video... maybe...

Joni did not measure the old belt. They're Christmas presents for my three boys

12 minutes ago, PappysLeather said:

Joni did not measure the old belt. They're Christmas presents for my three boys

koreric75 asked you a few days ago, short by how much? And did you get the pant size from a pair of pants they are actually wearing and fit properly?

If the pants are too small, the belt is going to be too small. I've used that chart for years, ever since I found it and only screwed 1 belt up

9 hours ago, Halitech said:

koreric75 asked you a few days ago, short by how much? And did you get the pant size from a pair of pants they are actually wearing and fit properly?

If the pants are too small, the belt is going to be too small. I've used that chart for years, ever since I found it and only screwed 1 belt up

I'll 2d that, I've been using this guide, actually laminated it and hung it up with some other quick ref stuff...only had 2 belts that didn't come out fitting, found out later even though explicitly telling folks to measure the old "fitting" belt, or use a tape measure and get me the actual waist size.  Both figured that the jeans size would be just as good and that's what they gave me so that's what they got...lol.  I have seen as much difference from one pair of jeans marked 36 to a fella with a 40" waist that was still getting into them...but that 36" to the middle hole was far from close and couldn't even get the belt around him to fit the last hole.  Had I used the actual waist 40" (if measured bare skin I'd add an inch for material bulk) then I could've used that number 40"or 41" for the buckle bend to the middle hole measurement then add my 8" for the blank to do my buckle fold end and have the last couple holes...i probably would've started with a 50" blank in this case as sometimes i need a couple tries with my belt tipper punch...i have the hardest time getting that thing even...

I hope this helps, although I've really only regurgitated what is already in the pdf, and without knowing how measurements were taken we can't help troubleshoot much more than that.  I'm from the ShowMe state as well, so show me what ya did...lol.

I had their pant waist size and 4 inches to that from the buckle to the center hole. Am I missing some measurement? I want to start making more belts but been afraid to.

1 hour ago, PappysLeather said:

I had their pant waist size and 4 inches to that from the buckle to the center hole. Am I missing some measurement? I want to start making more belts but been afraid to.

1. Is it a current pair of jeans that they wear?

2. Are all their jeans the same size?

3. HOW MUCH TOO SMALL ARE THE BELTS?

4. How thick is the leather you used for the belts?

5. Did you allow an extra little bit to allow for the thickness of the belt?

Yes it were their current pants. I was using belt blanks from Tandy's I think they are like 6 or 7oz. They came up around 4 inches too short. So I am working on a belt now for myself. Where should I measure from on the old belt?

In order to come up 4" short, you didn't add the 4" to account for the distance from the buckle and the overlap amount. If the pant size is say 36", you would measure from the end of the buckle to the middle hole at 40" and the total blank should be 52". Pant size plus 4" works 99% of the time

I can’t download any of the patterns for the belts? they all say unavailable

On 3/11/2022 at 6:31 AM, AtomicLeathers said:

I can’t download any of the patterns for the belts? they all say unavailable

Zip file here downloads just fine.  If you are trying to use the RAR files, you need to know a lot more to be able to use them.

They are posted a few times throughout this thread if you take the time to scroll through the thread.

This is wonderful! I want to make a belt for my husband and was wondering how to go about it and this really helps! Thank you!  

Hi everyone! I see this thread is old, but I still have hope that someone will see and help. I cant’t download  the file that was kindly provided at the beginning of the thread in 2014. I am also struggling with “universal belt sizes” and according to comments in this thread this file can be a good help. Can someone share it once again?