Ok so they're not even dry, but I got excited and wanted to share. ;) This is a christmas gift (yes I know, running late) and I got the idea for coasters decorated with the card suits. Not perfect, but not too shabby so far! Got the other two symbols car ed, but I'm making myself go to bed before I get carried away.post-11723-0-58296700-1418796239_thumb.jpost-11723-0-73911200-1418796271_thumb.j

Fun idea! You could also do chess pieces at some point....

I get yelled at all the time for not using coasters. Don't know if I'd use those either, I'd probably set my glass down on the table and then pick up the coaster and admire it instead. Carving and stamping is something I plan on trying myself a little more after Christmas. I've not had the nerve to try it other than simple boarders on the pieces I was making for fear of ruining them.

I'm a beginner stamper as well, so these were ideal to play around with. I have a bag of thick scrap leather so I just cut some circles out of good looking sections, played around with a cased out scrap to get the pattern I wanted, and just pounded away after carving out the center shape. If I totally bomb one, no big deal, it still works as a coaster. ;D I found out that this nice thick leather accepts stamps REALLY well, so much so that using a scrap of it as a test marker is a bad idea if I'm going to try stamping on a thinner leather. (Yep, I was working on a third piece while I was working on these, because short attention span YAY)

I'm thinking of finishing up the next two suits, and because I hate the number four, make a fifth coaster with a basketweave pattern on it or something. Or maybe I should try carving out a poker hand of cards? Oh, or maybe a divided center with all four suits on it done smaller!

Got the last three done tonight. Now to let them dry, put a finish on them, and maybe make a carrier for them.

post-11723-0-88450500-1418875742_thumb.j

post-11723-0-57721700-1418875771_thumb.j

post-11723-0-86191000-1418875798_thumb.j

Grey ---------------

Yes Yours is a great design Idea, and Yes they make great gifts too.

My wife has made many, many sets and laces the edges on some , Everybody goes nuts over them.

And yes its good to practice on scrap.

I might suggest you soak them before tooling. And a good finish too.

So they keep thier shape better over time when holding sweating beverages. --------- Wild Bioll46

Thanks for the tips! I did dunk them in water, but they did seem to dry out fairly quick so I had to repeat that a few times, maybe soaking is what's called for. Do you just keep them under until air stops coming out of them?

I did buy some resolene so I hope that works well as a finish for these. They were pre-dyed chestnut and the color doesn't rub off, but I don't want them to darken in splotches every time a glass sweats on them.

Grey ---------------

Your correct in soaking till the bubbles begin to show.

Now take them out and let dry till almost natural looking, Then begin your tooling, hole punching, lacing/stitching etc,

She uses a 50% x 50% solution of Resoline /Water in several coats. hope this helps ---------- Wild Bill46