3arrows

Slowing down my Pfaff 545 H4

Im using a Pfaff 545 to do my sewing now, just got from a friend of mine. Great machine, plenty of power and will sew anything you can get under the foot (almost an 1" of lift). It has the compound walking foot and is in great shape. My problem is when the clutch engages, the machine takes off like a scalded dog and Im having trouble slowing it down. Any suggestions as to how to slow this beast down? Would a variable speed control like the one I use on my wood router work?? Thanks for any advice you can give me.. ron :whatdoyouthink:

You should probably consider a servo motor for it. The motor in it is designed more for speedy work instead of high torque work. Running with a variable speed control might burn it out. Servo motors are designed to provide the torque even at low speed, and would be better suited for slow sewing. The other option is a reducing gear, by which you keep the motor speed, but use a larger flywheel- reducing the actual sewing speed- to slow things down. For that route, I think belt drives are common to allow for slippage if the needle hangs up.

Give it a little while longer and some of the sewing machine experts should chime it.

Edited by TwinOaks

Thanks I searched the archives and found what I needed. Im going to buy a speed reducer. I want the torque that the clutch motor provides. thanks ron

Thanks I searched the archives and found what I needed. Im going to buy a speed reducer. I want the torque that the clutch motor provides. thanks ron

I have a speed reducer on my Pfaff 545, and it's great, but it does make the machine harder to turn over by hand in some cases. It is very nice for "stitch by stitch" work... I do holsters, so I need very precise slow stitching. My reducer is the pulley type.

I have a speed reducer on my Pfaff 545, and it's great, but it does make the machine harder to turn over by hand in some cases. It is very nice for "stitch by stitch" work... I do holsters, so I need very precise slow stitching. My reducer is the pulley type.

Try a Servo Motor (Dial Speed) with a speed reducer. That will eliminate that thumping take-off and allow you to maintain Torque even at low speeds. Clutch Motors are out of date now for 2 reasons, Power wastage (running all the time) & hard to control at low speeds. Servo's dont use power when not sewing & are controlable at all speeds. Als you can vari the top speed so easily. I've got rid of all my Clutch Motors. Any novice can use the Servo easily.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Jim do your servo motors sound kinda loud & noisly when they are running ?

Try a Servo Motor (Dial Speed) with a speed reducer. That will eliminate that thumping take-off and allow you to maintain Torque even at low speeds. Clutch Motors are out of date now for 2 reasons, Power wastage (running all the time) & hard to control at low speeds. Servo's dont use power when not sewing & are controlable at all speeds. Als you can vari the top speed so easily. I've got rid of all my Clutch Motors. Any novice can use the Servo easily.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Anyone have a link to a servo motor setup that you can buy online? Reccomendations?

Anyone have a link to a servo motor setup that you can buy online? Reccomendations?

www.artisansew.com

Toll Free: (888) 838-1408 - Toll Free Fax: (866) 838-1508

Give Jerry at Artisan a call. He should be able to fix you up with a servo motor setup.

Randy

Jim do your servo motors sound kinda loud & noisly when they are running ?

Luke that is the beauty of them, they run quiet, no Noise.

I sujest you contact Ryan Neel ( www.neelsaddlery.com) and ask him about supplyng a Motor as I've had a very good run out of the same Motors that he sells. The vari Speed version is so simple to set up or there is the 2 speed model. Hey they use less than 1/3rd the power owing to no wasting power while waiting. Don't Jump either.A learners Dream and a Proffesionals Tool. I just wish I'd had them 40 years ago.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.