Bicicouture

Using An Arbor Press To Stamp Leather?

Hello! I've been using a 1/2 ton arbor press to stamp my makers mark on to my products. It's a very small brass plate that I use. However I recently got a custom order and the stamp that Im using for this job is much bigger, it's 4"x2" brass plate with a fair amount of detail. I am not sure how to go about stamping it. I am stamping on 3/4 oz leather. The leather is going to be dyed by me so I have tried dying the leather and immediately stamping it, it helps get a better impression when the leather is a bit moist from the dye. However, the pressure is not even and I am thinking it is because of the size of the brass plate? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any information would be useful!

Happy holidays!

The pressure point on your arbor press, cannot handle the size of your plate. You could try to place a metal plate on top of your makers mark if that is possible to try to distribute the pressure a little more evenly. I made a simple press with two steel plates 3/4" thick and a hydraulic bottle jack. You would need to build a simple frame, ( I used 3/4" threaded rod) that way you can make the jaws larger or smaller to accommodate different dies.Just google simple bottle jack press. I hope this is of some help. Merry Christmas!

Thank you very much! Very very helpful! I will look into the bottle jack press. It's kind of what I had in mind but I didn't know if there was another way people were doing this. Thanks again!

1st, I stamp leather while it is cased with water prior to staining. The same level of casing when normal leather work carving. Getting the press foot centered is important. Getting a thick plate on top and bottom to distribute the pressure evenly.

Doing large work on an arbor press is quite easy. The trick is not trying to do it all at once. There is just too much surface area.

Start in one corner and press it. move the piece over 1" (generally the size of the ram). Press again. Rinse and Repeat until

the entire surface is done. I regularly emboss 6"x9" like this. Additionally it often helps on thinner leathers to put a piece of thick leather

or rubber underneath the piece to be embossed. The idea being it has enough spounginess to push the leather up into the plate.

Cheer and Good Holidays!

Hello! I've been using a 1/2 ton arbor press to stamp my makers mark on to my products. It's a very small brass plate that I use. However I recently got a custom order and the stamp that Im using for this job is much bigger, it's 4"x2" brass plate with a fair amount of detail. I am not sure how to go about stamping it. I am stamping on 3/4 oz leather. The leather is going to be dyed by me so I have tried dying the leather and immediately stamping it, it helps get a better impression when the leather is a bit moist from the dye. However, the pressure is not even and I am thinking it is because of the size of the brass plate? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any information would be useful!

Happy holidays!

Use Arbor you will meet this problem, you can add a piece of steel board to enlarge the plate area. I made a machine to do this job...I use jack, it can offer 10 Tons pressure, I use this machine to press big logo(very big, as large as palm), make leather by moulds and so on. Take a look and Merry Xmas!

post-46362-0-11736500-1419384855_thumb.j

post-46362-0-90127300-1419384856_thumb.j

post-46362-0-16877300-1419384858_thumb.j

post-46362-0-15984100-1419384861_thumb.j

Get a 2 ton or 3 ton Arbor Press. The additional pressure, and especially the extra working space over the 1/2 ton is a pleasure, making it faster to use and easier to line up stamps. You will need a steel plate to cover the die. I use a piece of granite as the base.

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ