Constabulary

29K1 Pre Christmas Barn Find :-)

I´m almost done with I´m just waiting for bell crank lever and some screws. New paint is silver + black. It will no longer use the treadle base, I have motorized it ;)

Edited by Constabulary

GOOD NEWS!

Today my last order from College Sewing has arrived and I was able to install the BCL.

I had to grind down maybe 1/2mm - 1mm on one side of the ring with my Dremel and voila - it fits and works absolutely perfect. But that was a bit of trial and error. Sorry I took no pictures but it really was a comparatively easy repair. Maybe I´ll take some pics in the days to come but for today I don´t want to rip the head apart again (I think I did it 5 or 6 times today).

Seems I now get 5.5 SPI out of it (w/o thread and on plain paper) but I will measure it again when I´m done with the entire setup. I think when I replace the feed motion ring as well I probably would get an even better score. But comparing with the 7 - 6.5 SPI I got out of it when I first cranked the machine it is a pretty good result!

So when you have issues with too short stitches I really would recommend replacing the Bell Crank Lever and (maybe) the Feed Motion Ring.

But be aware that you have to modify the parts and I only can speak for the 29K1 as I have not worked on any other "old type" 29K machine. But I think this repair will work on most other 29K too.

Conclusion until now: I think it it worth the money and the work!

To be continued... ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Or the quick easy solution as I have done. 5 minutes to put a spot of brass on the one part and a few minutes with a file to make it fit the groove on the other one and you save $$$$ and don't through away good easily fixable parts.

Edited by catskin

For sure a good idea but not everybody has hard soldering or welding equipment (like me) ;)

I´ll keep my BCL - maybe one day I can reuse it like you suggested but until then I have replace the parts when I´m restoring a machine.

GOOD NEWS!

Today my last order from College Sewing has arrived and I was able to install the BCL.

To be continued... ;)

so- how about some photos? or a nice short video? that way we can all enjoy it too!

Constabulary,

Looks fine to me. Thank you for the blow-by-blow details of the restoration, they're very helpful. I noticed the thread tap in the second picture, do you have a set of "Singer" taps?

Bob Kovar at Toledo sells a basic kit of Singer taps. Dies are also commercially available

Al - No it is metric. I had to tap a new thread for the thumb screw as it came with a metric thread.

Darren - they are commercial availlable? Sounds good - can you point me to a tap set for Singer threads? I live in a metric World and do not know much about the US threading system but a Singer tap set would be nice to have.

Edited by Constabulary

I've gotta get me one of these- soooo, what motorcycle gear does my husband need? you know how it goes- a toy for him, a toy for me :)

Constabulary. Once again it looks like an awesome restoration job! I wish you weren't on the other side of the pond, or I'd buy one of your restorations when it goes up for sale! I'm pretty sure your restorations bring that old iron up to the standard it met the day it left the factory ... If not better.

Well done!

Bill

Darren, Constabulary,

Thanks for the tap information. I'm going to talk to Bob Kovar about it.

Thanks Billybopp - I try my best to turn it in to a good usable condition but I don´t think you can consider them as factory new or so. They are just too old and of course a lot of parts still show their age. It´s a hobby and one machine pays the next (if possible) but if I would count the hrs I work on some machines I´d say it is money loosing. I just like what I do and hope others like it too.

Old cast iron is not dead - most machines are worth restoring them - no matter what others say. It´s a bit of a point of view.

Keep up the good work Constabulary! Your threads on restoration have really helped me sort out my Singer 29D60, which made its first repair last night on my Son's wrecked shoes... Saved me some money... I think it might pay for itself very soon....Especially with my Son...The Wrecker ;)

Edited by alexitbe

Tomorrow I´ll work on some small details and will test sew it. Then I´m done I think. :)

I´ll try to make a small video in the days to come.

Impressive! You've put a great deal of thought and effort into the project. Anxious to see your video.

Looks good.

CD in Oklahoma

Congratulations Constabulary, ......very impressive! Your dedication to keeping "Old Cast Iron" alive is to be admired.

Enjoyed the video.

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say what a great job Constabulary did, and how helpful this thread is for me as I work on my 29-4.

Is this the part that regulates the stitch length ?

post-31854-0-88246800-1419531903.jpg

thats the one but the wear on other parts may have an influence on the stitch length too. But basically a new bell crank lever improves the stitch length but it most likely will not bring your machine to the full 5SPI. I yet have not seen a used (or even restored) 29K with full 5SPI.

Somehow I missed this thread before and I must say I have never seen such a nice patcher set up ever. Very nice work. On another note, that bell crank needs replacing for sure or at least rebuilding to get any stitch length at all. I did grind down the adjustment band (the square band with the thumb screw in it) shorter once and that gave a noticeable improvement in stitch length.The higher it goes the longer the stitch.

Hi there Oldtimer,The ring where it fits into is probably worn too? and it has a roller up the stem of it, if that sticks and gets a flat spot it could also shorten the length. and a worn foot also?

Edited by jimi