Hello All,

I have been leather working for just about two years but just recently joined the forums. I primarily make small leather goods like wallets, card holders, small bags, etc and would love for you all to critique my most recent wallet design. Its a bi-fold made from brown chrome-tan ~ 4oz in weight with Havana Cigar Tiger thread. It is a bit thick so any recommendations for thinner leather is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Josh

Shot of the outside

post-56532-0-56927400-1419623500_thumb.j

post-56532-0-60944200-1419623687_thumb.j

Your stitching is nice except for corners. Just need a little more planning and practice.

Your inside pieces are not the same size.

Consider Kangaroo leather, it is normally much better thickness for interior work.

ferg

Looks really nice. It looks like the gap between each pocket is a little big, can that be closed? How are your edges? Can't see them.

It's hand stitched right? Stitching looks pretty good.

What is the top stitching line stitched to? Is it just there for looks?

My personal preference is smaller/finer threads.

I've been doing leatherwork about as long as you. You can probably move up to some nicer interior leather like goatskin and Fil au Chinois Lin Cable thread if you want. Depends on your goals and style.

Edited by thefanninator

The main thing that I would work on is the gaps in-between the pockets. The fastest way to practice this is to do it 10-30 times on some scraps, Make the scraps 3 cm wide and overlap them by so they sit flush. Just focusing on doing it 30 times is the same as getting the practice of doing 6 wallets and also doing them all in a row is easier to pick up mistakes.

Repeat this style of practicing for corner stitching, stitching the gaps in between the pockets (the stitch usually doesnt sit in the middle of the pockets) burnishing edges and cutting out different styles of pockets you will eventually be able to master the techniques. Its all about doing small steps at a time and in no time it leads to being able to make briefcases and bags with ease. Imagine it like practicing before competing for a match, practicing is important but actually making the products puts your practicing to the test.

If you prefer to just go project to project it takes much longer to learn yet it is less stressful as you pick it up naturally.

I would suggest to use English Kip leather, which is calf skin. It comes in a 1.5-2oz, which makes beautiful interiors. Then go to the 3oz on the exterior. These are vegetable tanned leathers and can be died and sealed. Stitching on smaller projects should be about 7 count per inch, which tends to look better and makes sewing easier. Glue your pieces together before stitching. Keep a cup of water close by to dampen the leather as you're sewing it. That allows the string to pull deeper into it. Use twisted nylon string. Stewart Manufacturing has good string. Be mindful that on thin leathers, as you're pulling your string, you can get a "curtain rod" effect, so keep it smoothed out as you go. Keep practicing and doing- your work looks good! You have good potential!