finnb

Has Anyone Used One Of These Presses?

Hi All, Just getting into leatherwork and really enjoying it. Have seen a few videos of people using the press from tandy for setting rivets and snaps. They look good but the dies are super expensive. Was trawling around looking for alternatives when i stumbled across these presses just called "universal hand press" in the descriptions http://www.greengrizzly.co.uk/en/hand-preses/738-universal-hand-press-for-grommets-rivets-press-fasteners-eyelets-aax.html and they are much more reasonably priced. (about £50 for the press and around £10 for the dies) Thing is i can't find much about them. All I can see is they are made by micron (although they don't list these specific models) and i;ve seen a few people using them on youtube but no real detailed info. Has anyone used one and are they any good? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a similar one, recommended on the forum which cost $59 with one die set and extras were reasonable. I am veryy happy with it.

Cya!

Bob

It looks like a new take on a pretty common type of machine. For rivet presses, I don't think it makes much difference, but for snaps, it's pretty important to have dies that correctly fit the snaps, etc. The other thing to look at is how much depth there is behind the setter head. ...aka, how much throat the machine has. For straps and such, it wouldn't really matter, but for things like purses it may be somewhat limiting.

I use mine exclusively for snaps and the dies work well with Tandy snaps or their own which I bought with the machine.

Cya!

Bob

you DID read the size listed in the description, right??? that's the baby version

This is the one I purchased recently:

https://goldstartool.com/Grommet_-and-_Snap_Press_Machine_-_One_Set_Of_Dies_-snaps-_buttons-_rivets.html

All other international orders: Please send an email with SKU number(s), quantity needed and your exact shipping address to shipping@goldstartool.com and we will create a paypal invoice with your total. Shipping costs to overseas locations is determined strictly by weight, not the quantity of items ordered.

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

Hello Finnb,

I also have the unit from Goldstar Tool and it has been great. Especially the reasonable cost of the dies for various applications. Hope you find one soon.

Best wishes for the New Year.

God Bless.

Ray

Thanks for the input all. Works out at a bit more to get the same dies i was going to get by the time i factor in shipping so I think i'll hang fire for a bit to see what dies I'm likely to get the most use out of and save a few more pennnies. I don't want to buy something and find myself quickly wanting to upgrade

I got myself a similar one to the Goldstar one, here in Aus. One thing you have to watch is the snaps - the brand of snaps determines the dies you need, and Tandy snaps are a little different to some others, and I've already found some of the snaps I have from a different company are another size again for the die. As long as I buy the right snaps I'm fine, but for fancy snaps or the like, it's back to hand setting.

Some companies will ask for details of the snaps to get the dies right, find one that does this and send them a set of your snaps for perfect dies.

I got myself a similar one to the Goldstar one, here in Aus.

RavenAus, can you get hole punch attachment for the one you have if so can I ask where you got it. The price Tandy wants for theirs is ridiculous and I'm hesitant to purchase from overseas at the moment since the our dollar has taken a bit of a dive.

Thank you

Cheers,

cem

RavenAus, can you get hole punch attachment for the one you have if so can I ask where you got it. The price Tandy wants for theirs is ridiculous and I'm hesitant to purchase from overseas at the moment since the our dollar has taken a bit of a dive.

Thank you

Cheers,

cem

Hi Cem, I've not found a decent hole punch adaptor yet but I'm getting a metalworker friend to make one up for me that takes the standard size tubes, and has a hole for the waste to come out.If you know anyone who does metal lathe work you should be able to get it done , and a brass anvil is easy. http://www.sunriseimports.com.au/shop/eyelet-press-kits-accessories-c-8_1212/1x-heavy-duty-eyelet-press-setter-kits-include-eyelet-dies-p-45253.html - that's the Aussie importer near me, you may find someone closer though. I ordered my dies direct from China, takes a month or 2 to get here but the sets are between $10 and $20 USD

Thanks RavenAus, I may of found a place in Perth that at least has the press just waiting for them to reopen after the holidays.

I have just bought one of the Green Grizzly sets consisting of the press and nineteen - Yes 19 sets of dies for £149.00 which is about $250? I have loads of Tandy rivet and snaps as well as grommets - and every one fits one or other of the die sets. So far the cost of just two Tandy I've got the whole lot.Works well too. Got them off ebay .

I have just bought one of the Green Grizzly sets consisting of the press and nineteen - Yes 19 sets of dies for £149.00 which is about $250? I have loads of Tandy rivet and snaps as well as grommets - and every one fits one or other of the die sets. So far the cost of just two Tandy I've got the whole lot.Works well too. Got them off ebay .

I'm about to do same thing as you, buy everything, because that is the almost same price like just press from Tandy.eu

But can you give some impression about quality comparing with Tandy press and dies

Regards

Aleksandar

Not having seen the Tandy one I can't say. But mine does everything well, so no regrets.

I use the Tandy Press for punching holes (sometimes on sale for 1/2 price) Black River Laser sells the die that holds the mini punch at a much lower price.

I use the Gold Star press for rivets, snaps ( dies cost much less) they don't sell the leather hole punches

Edited by paprhangr

Does anyone know if there are alternative (i.e. cheaper) dies that fit the Tandy Hand Press? Thanks.

My die holder sets fit many Tandy type presses that take a 3/8" (9.5mm) shank. Watch my website for an amazing new

guide rail system I will be offering. Ken harper from Chief's leather works will be making a review video soon.

Take care all!

Joyce~~

blackriverlaser.com for how to videos!

Rail system sounds good. Is that a belt hole punch guide?