Tracym

Dying Deerhide - Take #... - I've Lost Count!

This deerhide project is going to drive me insane. The strings did not work at all with rit dye - they barely took the dye, turned weird colors, etc.

I called Fiebings, and also some leather tannery that took pity on me. Both told me to use fiebing's leather dye, and leather balm with atom wax.

So ok, I put the dye on the strings with the dauber, rubbed it with a cloth. Let dry, and put on the leather balm.

It took the dye, color is fine.

But... as soon as it hits any dampness, it leaks dye.

I've taken one string, been rinsing it in warm running water for an hour. I think it is STILL giving off a little dye. Color still looks fine, but water that comes off it looks yellow.

Any ideas?

(p.s. I am never EVER dying leather again!)

I am certainly no expert, but if I understand the term strings, you are dying deer lace or fringe. I would dye it by immersing it in dye, remove, wipe off excess, and here is maybe the kicker. let them dry for a full 48 hrs. Run them through a cloth held in your hand, and then immerse them in finish, again let dry for at least 24hrs. I think 48hrs. works better, but that just me. Now try your atom wax. I dye a lot of leather, most of it to black, and I do not have a bleed problem. I do use Eco-Flo water stain exclusively, because that has given me the best result with the least problems. I sure hope this helps, and don't give up. Problems were invented so solutions could be found:>)

Well I didn't immerse them (strings) but I got a fair amount of dye on them. Wiped off excess. I probably let them dry 24 hours before doing the atom wax.

What do you mean immerse them in "finish"? What is finish?

At this point, they are already dyed and done with atom wax. I've rinsed the heck out of one string, waiting to see how it does - I presume I would reapply the atom wax?

Finish is exactly as the name implies. After you apply dye, you buff and apply finish, either gloss or matte, to seal ( for lack of a better word ) the item. This is to stop the dye from bleeding off and give the leather some protection from the elements. Now you can apply an anti-weathering agent such as Aussie to help waterproof the leather. Resolene is very popular, but once applied to the leather, it will no longer absorb any other agent. The atom wax itself is considered a finish,as is clear lac,sheer lac, etc. They all do the job of sealing in the dye. Do the strings have a smooth finish, or more of a suede texture?

Ah ok. I just got confused when you said finish followed by the atom wax.

The strings are a soft texture, not really suede, but definitely not shiny. Whenever I have used resolene, it makes things stiff and shiny, which I do not want here. Hence, why I was using the atom wax as recommended by Fiebing's and the tannery.

But - the atom wax didn't seem to keep the dye in. Days after I applied it, if I just pulled the string gently across a damp paper towel, dye came off.

I guess I can try it again with the string that I rinsed for hours, after it dries, and hope that is more successful.

This string is supposed to be a lanyard to hold duck calls. Since it will go duck hunting, it needs to be able to get damp without 'dying' the hunter.

Thanks very much for the help.

Is it absolutely necessary to dye the project?? I would leave it the color of the deer hide. Just my two cents.

Yes, unfortunately, it is absolutely necessary :(

It is going out in a duck blind, and a bright (almost white) color like that would scare away the ducks. It has to work along with the camoflauge clothes.

Sigh

Tandy Professional Waterstain

I'm not sure what that is. But please remember - these strings are already dyed, I am trying to figure out what to do with them now? Are you saying to put the Tandy stuff over the top of the other dye and leather balm w/atom wax?

Thinking... question comes to my mind - is that leather balm with atom wax waterproof? Or is that the wrong product?

In which case, do I need to use the resolene? If I do, will it go over the leather balm, or do I have to rinse that off or something?

Edited by Tracym

If they are already dyed then go over them with a beeswax/neatsfoot oil mix

I remember neatsfoot oil from my horse days - that will darken them. But I seem to have read recently that neatsfood oil can cause leather to degrade. Not sure where I would get beeswax. I am wondering why those finishes, as opposed to the leather balm or resolene?

This is something you don't need to worry about. I am very sure there are no ducks or geese for that matter looking for a specific color of a piece of leather.

I am assured by the hunter that something bright white is a problem, and would scare ducks away. That's why the hunters wear camo.

Unfortunately, it appears I cannot dye this. I've tried Rit, Fiebing's dye, atom wax, resolene - no matter what I do, it bleeds when damp. I have spoken to Fiebing's, Tandy, some misc. tannery in Colorado who was nice enough to try to help me.

What people seem to think now is, that it is a chrome tan, and will repel dye. Guess I'm not going to solve the problem it appears.

Edited by Tracym

Tracy, Rinse your strings in hot water until you get the excess dye out & then dye them in some strong coffee if you need more color. Neatsfoot oil, make sure its pure neatsfoot oil not neatsfoot compound, will darken it some & I've never seen any sign that it will cause any damage. Buck

I rinsed one string for literally 2 hours in running water once, and it never completely stopped shedding dye. I think now that I've done the resolene, my current strings are shot.

I could try some scraps with coffee and neatsfoot oil, and see if I have enough to cut more string.

Thanks

When I die my rawhide strings I soak them in Rit Dye for a couple of hours or until I get the color I want. Then I put them in a bowl of warm water with some vinegar in it, this sets the dye. Then I rinse them in cold water till the water runs clear.

I gave up - Bambi won. Cannot die that hide. Rit with vinegar was my first attempt. Fiebing's another. Coffee another. Tried resolene. Other products I've lost track of by now Talked to Tandy, die manufacturers, and a stray tannery that took pity on me. Nothing worked, dye comes off the minute it gets damp. Bambi rules.

And after all this - the guy said go ahead and braid it natural - he'll just get it dirty!