JJD

Tips For Building A Kids Saddle

I want to build my son a saddle. He's about 5 years old. I have experience building saddles. I've built about 12 now but only for adults. Just wondering what size of tree should I order how much leather I can expect to use a good tree style any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am certainly no expert, but I would get a tree that he can grow into. As you know it's a lot of work and you don't want to do it every couple of years. Do you think you could make the stirrup leathers and fenders to fit him now and then change them when he out grows them? I am interested to see what you decide to do.

Randy

I built my boy one when he was 3. I built it on a 13 in Will James tree from Sonny Felkins. I built it just like I would for a grown man just scaled down. It has a flat plate rigging and is stout enough to rope anything that will run. He is not ready for that but the saddle will be when the boy is. I'm glad I didn't go with a smaller tree. He will be able to ride this one until he is a teenager with the addition of new fenders. Then he should be able to move into a full sized one.

Hope this helps,

CW

I am certainly no expert, but I would get a tree that he can grow into. As you know it's a lot of work and you don't want to do it every couple of years. Do you think you could make the stirrup leathers and fenders to fit him now and then change them when he out grows them? I am interested to see what you decide to do.

Randy

Randy,

I'm thinking of doing a 14" seat maybe 14.5" Lieuellen. I'll probably make a smaller set of fenders that can be changed when he grows a little.

I built my boy one when he was 3. I built it on a 13 in Will James tree from Sonny Felkins. I built it just like I would for a grown man just scaled down. It has a flat plate rigging and is stout enough to rope anything that will run. He is not ready for that but the saddle will be when the boy is. I'm glad I didn't go with a smaller tree. He will be able to ride this one until he is a teenager with the addition of new fenders. Then he should be able to move into a full sized one.

Hope this helps,

CW

I was thinking 14" but maybe that's too big. I'd like to try a inskirt rigging this time. Ive never done one before so I'll experiment on my own saddle. It sounds like it's pretty much the same just scaled down in some areas. Thanks for the input

Hi JJD,

I have built a saddle for both my kids and at the time, they were 7 and 9. I built both of them on 12.5 seats and have worked very well for both of them. My daughter is 13 ( hope to survive these early teenage years :) ) and we might get another six months out of her saddle before she just plain out grows it. That said ---- if I were to do this process over I think I would have been better off with 13.5 seats or may be even 14 inch seats. The Ground seat would have a bit more dish to them with a bigger seat. Either way they are keep sakes from Dad and will be passed on to the next generation; so it is a win win situation either way.

You can see those saddles on page 8 of the saddle and tack gallery under "trying out my new camera"

Both were built with Ring Rigging and have been ideal for smaller saddles. One thing I WOUD NOT DO is use Lace up stirrup leathers like I did. Every time it seems they saddle up the leathers need to be adjusted and that gets a littled old. Regards Billy

JJD,

I noticed CW has his sons saddle posted on page 8 of the Gallery also!

Great looking saddle. Regards Billy

I have built a few "grow up" saddles over the years and the approach I take is to carry the youngster to about age 15 when they can decide for themselves what they want to ride from then on. Sorry no pics. I clung to a film camera for too long and haven't built one since I went digital. I didn't scrounge on trees. Full size on the horse side with bars designed for "narrow seat" contsruction and with a dab of fiberglass reinforcement of the bars. Stirrup leather slots set back 1". 14" 3B or Weatherly tree with 3 X 12 cantle. I encouraged taller rather than shorter horns to help keep a kid from getting on top of them and with the 15 yr old (long on adventure and short on sense coupled with nylon ropes) in mind. I use a full metal strainer in my ground seats which becomes part of the key to this. Full size on skirts and rigging and seat leathers. First start out with the 15 yr old end user in mind, we'll take care of the tyke in a minute. Then start with a set of stirrup leathers only so that first set will start with stirrups right at top under the seat jockeys or a small set of fenders if the kid starting out with it was a little bigger. Now the "key". A set of buck rolls made pretty large. Depending, again on the size of the kid at the beginning, set to mimic a short seat at the back. These will always be attached at top by short bolts through the seat and between the bars on top. Careful to grind them down sufficiently on the underneath so as to avoid gouging the horse. The bottoms, again depending on the size of the kid can either be screwed down or attached with bolts. If bolts are used be sure and keep them tight to avoid tearing out. Some judgement then must be applied as to when to move them forward. Their last resting place will be full forward resulting in a 14" slick fork with a large set of buck rolls making it work almost like a Modified Association. New fenders as needed. Since you will be right there, resist pleas to move buck rolls frequently to minimize the number of open holes left behind to mark the passing of the years.

There is another, IMHO less desirable alternative which would be to plan on the time and expense to build another one every few years and then make each one tailored more directly to the size of the kid at the time. I would always choose full size bars, skirts and riggings if it were me and would still keep the front end (horn, too) on the high side with safety in mind. Hooded stirrups for quite awhile even if the kid starts whining that they are "too baby"

Edited by oltoot

Thanks Folks for all your input. I ended up going with a 13" Lieuellen with a 2 3/4" wood post horn. I'll put some pictures up when I get the tree back. Thanks.

I bought a child's saddle on Ebay and am in the process of restoring it for my grandchildren. As a former Certified Electronics Technician with a love of fixing things I went from building to restoration on this project. I am literally going to COVER up the old flower sides with colorful horses. Finished the sides yesterday and here they are before dying.

NavyVet, I hope your grandchildren are girls. Years back I put new fenders on one of my dads old saddles so it would fit my 8 year old nephew. I also put horses on them, He was embarrassed to ride it, lol. And they weren't nearly as colorful as yours.